Over the years I have used Marriott’s Look No Further best rate guarantee several times. Normally, I am quite skeptical when it comes to companies promising to match their prices if lower one is found elsewhere. I have to say that I have been very satisfied with the Marriott’s Look No Further so far.
Yesterday I was researching options for hotels in Bangkok and came across very attractive rate for Renaissance hotel, where I have stayed at few times before. The price on the Priceline was $69 compared to the price of 4700 THB (around $150) found on Marriott.com. I had never used Priceline before as a comparison site when doing the guarantee. You have to distinguish between the opaque side that none of the competitors match as it is by bidding only and the traditional one where the prices are shown without having to bid.
So, I booked the 4700 THB rate on Marriott.com that could be cancelled only for 24 hours after booking, and tried to match it to the Priceline’s offer of free cancellation up to day before arrival.The easiest way to submit the match request is to fill out the web form.
When doing the Look No further guarantee the cancelation policies should be the same, although it doesn’t make sense why you couldn’t match a lower price with less restrictive cancellation policy to a higher price with more restrictive cancellation policy.
The first response from the Look No Further-team was not promising
The Terms and Conditions of Marriott’s Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee require that valid claims must be submitted for accommodations with the same guarantee requirements, including cancellation policies and, if applicable, advance purchase policies. According to our review, we have determined that the accommodations with which your comparison was made featured the following booking requirement:
Priceline will not charge you a change or cancel fee, however this hotel has the following cancellation policy: For the room type you’ve selected, you can cancel your reservation for a full refund up until noon on Sunday, December 4th (local hotel time). If you decide to cancel your reservation anytime between noon on Sunday, December 4th and noon on Monday, December 5th (local hotel time), the hotel requires payment for the first night’s stay. You will be charged for the first night’s stay including taxes and fees. Any remaining amount will be refunded to you. Refunds or cancellations are not available after noon local hotel time on your day of arrival (Monday, December 5th).
I decided to send a reply to ask for clarification. I politely thanked them for reviewing my claim so expediently, but that I couldn’t quite understand this cancellation policy clause. As I noted above both Priceline’s price and the cancellation policies were better. Received the following reply very promtly.
Thank you for your additional inquiry concerning the claim you submitted for Marriott’s Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee.
The room rate listed above reflects your nightly room rate, before tax, and an additional 25% discount for submitting a successful claim according to the terms of Marriott’s Look No Further(SM) Best Rate Guarantee.
Please accept our apologies that this adjustement was not done previously.
What I like about this process is the turnaround time which is really fast. After I have filled out the web form, I have always received a response in just couple of hours. When I sent the email requesting them to re-review the claim, I received the reply in less than an hour. I think that other lodging companies that have similar low price guarantees, like InterContinental Hotels Group, could learn a lot from Marriott in this regard.
Here are Marriott’s Terms and Conditions of this program. https://www.marriott.com/hotel-rates/pop-up.mi
When you contact Marriott directly to plan your travel, there’s no need to hunt the world over for a better deal. You can trust that you won’t find a qualifying lower publicly available room rate on the Marriott room of your choice — anywhere. That’s Marriott’s Look No Further® Best Rate Guarantee.
Here’s how it works:1. Make a reservation through any Marriott reservation channel.2. If you find a lower rate for the same hotel, room type, and reservation dates submit a claim form. The Marriott rate and the “Comparison Rate” must be found, and a completed Claim Form submitted, within 24 hours of your initial reservation. Your claim must also be submitted no later than 24 hours before your check-in time.3. If the lower rate you found qualifies, we will adjust your room rate to reflect that rate, and give you an additional 25% off the lower rate, subject to terms & conditions listed below.
- One reservation must be made through any Marriott Reservation Channel (meaning our Worldwide Reservations Centers, a Marriott hotel or an official Marriott Web site) for one of the following brands: Marriott Hotels & Resorts, JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels & Resorts, Courtyard, Fairfield Inn, SpringHill Suites, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, Marriott Conference Centers, or Marriott Vacation Club International.
- The guarantee does not apply to the following rate types:
• Rates that are not publicly available, such as negotiated corporate or group rates.
• Discount rates offered only to members of groups or individuals who meet previously-specified criteria, including AAA members, seniors, government employees, or Marriott Rewards members.
• Package rates that include the room and other components such as travel, car rental, entertainment, and/or non-breakfast meals.
• Package or group add-on rates that extend the length of a stay.
• Rates negotiated for stays extending beyond 30 nights.
• Rates that are available on auction Web sites.
• Rates available on Web sites, such as Priceline and Hotwire, that do not disclose the hotel brand until the reservation is completed.
• Pre-paid rates that involve a voucher (including electronic vouchers) for a hotel stay.
- The Marriott rate and the “Comparison Rate” must be found, and a completed claim form submitted, within 24 hours and must be for the same hotel, room type and reservation dates. The same cancellation and advance purchase policies must apply.
- Marriott will verify the Comparison Rate within 24 hours of receiving your claim and notify you of the results. Because the claim must be processed before check-in, you must submit your claim at least 24 hours prior to check-in.
- When multiple rates for the same hotel, reservation dates, and room type are displayed on a Marriott web site, you must reserve the lowest rate to be eligible for the guarantee.
- The Comparison Rate must be reservable by the general public and be verifiable by Marriott. If the Comparison Rate is offered through a Marriott channel, you must reserve that rate to qualify for the guarantee. Marriott will not charge a cancellation fee. If the Comparison Rate is reserved through a non-Marriott channel, Marriott is not responsible for any fees incurred due to cancellation of a reservation.
- Rate comparison will be made net of any taxes, gratuities, or any other fees associated with the room rate, and the Comparison Rate must still be available at the time Marriott validates the claim. Rate disparities solely attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.
- When a claim form covers multiple nights, the rates will be compared for each night separately.
- Void where prohibited by law. Marriott reserves the right to modify or cancel the guarantee at any time without prior notice.
If you have any questions about Marriott’s Look No Further® Best Rate Guarantee, please contact us via email or call toll-free from within the USA, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands or Canada at 800-771-LOOK (5665). If you are dialing from outside those areas, you can call collect at [International Dialing code] + 402 + 548-3575.