British Airways is offering an award sale for number of destination where you can save 25% of the miles used for World Traveler (economy) and World Traveler Plus (premium economy). You need to make the booking by May 30th, 2012 for travel until the end of 2012. These discounted prices will automatically show up when you make a redemption booking using miles on BA.com.
This offer also works one-way to/from London to any of the cities offered. Typically airlines price one-ways at much higher price than return tickets. So, if you happen to need an one-way ticket from/to any of these cities, it might pay to check out the availability using Avios as well.
This sale is not that great to redeem for any of the competitive destinations. I just plugged in a RT trip to Dubai in some random dates in October and the savings using 30K Avios were paltry 71 GBP. Also, the revenue ticket would have earned some miles and TP’s (BA’s version of Elite Qualifying Miles) as well.
Avios 30K + taxes/fees of 407.36 EUROS for London to Dubai return
Price on Expedia.co.uk 396.99 GBP for London to Dubai return
Then I tried to check out the one-way pricing from one of my favorite cities in the North America – Montreal. The BA.com was able to price the one-way correctly requiring 15K Avios and 199.86 Euros in taxes and fees. The same flight would cost $1379.70 on Expedia. So, there are definitely some savings to be had.
Avios 15K + taxes/fees of 199.86 EUROS for Montreal to London one-way
Price on Expedia.com $1379.70 for Montreal to London one-way
This promotion makes sense if you choose non-competitive destinations, where the fares are on the high side, or travel one-way. As my Dubai examples proves, it doesn’t make sense to redeem for some destinations at all, when the fares are low. The British Airways charges very high fuel surcharges even on award tickets.
Here are the terms and conditions of this promotion as they can be found on Avios.com:
Terms and conditions
All bookings are strictly subject to availability and Avios terms and conditions. Offers are correct at time of going to press, but subject to change. Single supplements may apply.
1. This promotion is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is aged 18 years or over, who is a member of the Avios scheme or British Airways Executive Club. Avios Group (AGL) Limited and British Airways reserve the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants.
By taking part in this promotion, Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the terms and conditions set out below.
2. To participate in this promotion, Eligible Participants must log in and book by 23.59 on 30 May 2012, and redeem a Qualifying Flight using Avios or Avios & Money (subject to the relevant Avios price options as indicated on ba.com) between 16 May and 31 December 2012 inclusive (the Promotional Period). The closing date of this promotion is 23:59 on 30 May 2012.
3. A Qualifying Flight is a single sector or return redemption flight in World Traveller, and World Traveller Plus cabins for the following British Airways routes: London Heathrow to Haneda, Tokyo; Narita, Tokyo; Shanghai; Beijng; Bangalore; Mumbai; Delhi; Boston; Philadelphia; Montreal; Toronto; Dubai; Bermuda; Newark and JFK and London Gatwick to St Lucia.
4. In relation to a Qualifying Flight, customers are permitted to fly on any BA mainline scheduled services with a BA prefix, but not on services operated wholly or partly by BA’s franchisees, codeshare partners or oneworld? alliance members. For the avoidance of doubt travel in First class, Club Europe, Euro Traveller or Club World are not Qualifying Flights and not considered as part of this promotion.
5. All Qualifying Flights (including any return leg of the journey if booked) must be completed between 16 May 2012 and 31 December 2012.
6. Eligible Participants who book and redeem a Qualifying Flight will qualify for the special rate of 25% less Avios.
7. Taxes, fees, charges and surcharges are not part of this promotion and must be paid in full at the time of booking.
8. If an Eligible Participant uses Purchased Avios to pay for reward flights, the reward flights are still subject to the applicable taxes, fees, charges and surcharges, which must be paid in full at the time of booking.
9. This offer only applies to new bookings made within the Promotional Period.
10. Flights are subject to availability and capacity control in redemption class, and are subject to Avios and British Airways Executive Club Terms and Conditions. Avios Group (AGL) Limited and British Airways do not accept any responsibility in the event that Eligible Participants are unable to book a Qualifying Flight.
11. Eligible Participants must quote their Avios Membership Number or their British Airways Executive Club Membership Number when booking their Qualifying Flights and also at check-in for both the outbound and return sections of their journey.
12. No cash or credit alternative will be offered.
13. Avios Group (AGL) Limited and British Airways reserve the right to cancel or amend the terms of this promotion, without notice, in the event of major catastrophe, war, civil or military disturbance, earthquake or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other similar events.
14. This promotion will be governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. Promotional materials form part of these terms and conditions.
15.The Promoter is: British Airways Plc (“BA”), Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777.