Asia Miles, Cathay Pacific’s base non-status frequent flyer program has extended their promotion that gives 30% bonus when you convert your hotel points to Asia Miles until 28th February 2017.
Some of these conversion options actually make sense so if you are an Asia Miles member who hasn’t pulled the trigger yet then maybe you want to reconsider.
Frequent flyer programs regularly have such promotions that give your hotel points transfers an extra boost when transferring them to an airline but very often the transfer rates are not very good and it’s impossible to answer in blanket statement if it’s a good use of hotel points or not as each program is (of course) different.
You can access Asia Miles promotional page for this offer here.
From now until 28th February 2017, earn 30% more Asia Miles on top of our existing conversion rates when you convert your points from 15 hotel loyalty programmes to Asia Miles.
These participating hotel chains and loyalty programs are:
- Accor LeClub
- Best Western Rewards
- Hilton HHonors
- Hyatt Gold Passport
- IHG Rewards Club
- JinJiang J-Club Points
- JinLing Points
- Marriott Rewards
- New Century Points
- Radisson / Park Plaza Club Carlson
- Regal Rewards Points
- ShangriLa Golden Circle
- Starwood Preferred Guest
- Wanda Club
Here you can see the transfer ratio and the new value after the 30% bonus:
In the following we give our take on the transfer value and provide you with the link to the respective program so you can investigate the details and access your account.
Le Club AccorHotels (access their website here)
2 Accor Points for 1 Asia Mile (now 1.3). Doesn’t make much sense in my opinion as Accor points get you a 40 EUR voucher to use and 1,300 Asia miles are certainly not worth 40 EUR.
Best Western Rewards (access their website here)
5,000 BW Points for 1,000 Asia Miles (now 1,300).
Hilton HHonors (access their website here)
10,000 HHonors points for 1,000 Asia Miles (now 1,300). HHonors points to miles transfers make very little to no sense. Better use them for hotel stays!
Hyatt Gold Passport (access their website here)
2.5 Hyatt Points for 1 Asia Miles (now 1.3). If you transfer 50,000 points for 20,000 miles Hyatt will give you an extra 5,000 miles which also credits with the bonus. 32,500 Asia Miles vs 50k Hyatt could be a break even value even though I’d personally prefer to keep the Hyatt currency unless I’m short of an award.
IHG Rewards Club (access their website here)
5 IHG Points for 1 Asia Miles (now 1.3).
JinJiang J-Club Points (access their website here)
6,000 JJ Points for 600 Asia Miles (now 780).
JinLing Points (access their website here)
3,200 JL Points for 500 Asia Miles (now 650).
Marriott Rewards (access their website here)
10,000 Marriott Rewards for 1,500 Asia Miles (now 1,950). It doesn’t make any sense to convert Marriott Rewards points to airline miles without going to travel package route that can get you a 7 day reward at a hotel on top of the regular transfer.
New Century Points (access their website here)
1,600 Century Points for 300 Asia Miles (now 390).
Radisson / Park Plaza Club Carlson (access their website here)
10 Gold Points for 1 Asia Miles (now 1.3).
Regal Rewards Points (access their website here)
15,000 Regal Rewards for 1,000 Asia Miles (now 1,300).
ShangriLa Golden Circle (access their website here)
1 Golden Circle Point for 1 Asia Miles (now 1.3).
Starwood Preferred Guest (access their website here)
1 Starpoint for 1 Asia Miles (now 1.3). You receive a 5,000 Miles Bonus when you convert 20,000 SPG points into 20,000 Asia Miles. Same as I wrote above with Hyatt I’d prefer the SPG currency or consider a transfer of my existing SPG to Marriott first and go the travel package route.
Wanda Club (access their website here)
4 Wanda Club Points for 1 Asia Miles (now 1.3).
As you can see the values vary greatly and it’s worth it to really double check if you are well advised to transfer your hotel points which are often more valuable in their own program.
Some program combinations offer a decent ratio especially when you factor in that hotel programs often give transfer bonuses for larger amounts.
The only real worthwhile programs here are Hyatt Gold Passport, Starwood Preferred Guest and Marriott Rewards (the latter most lucrative when redeeming travel packages). Remember that you can transfer Starpoints in real time to Marriott with a 1:3 ratio.
These are the Terms & Conditions at the time of this article:
- The “Convert Hotel Points and Get 30% More Miles Promotion ” (the “Promotion”) is valid from 1 December 2016 (starting from 00:00 GMT+8) to 31 February 28th 2017 (until 23:59 GMT+8), based on points conversion date, both dates inclusive (“Promotion Period”).
- The Promotion is applicable to all eligible Asia Miles members who successfully converted their hotel points from the 15 participating hotel loyalty programmes into miles during the Promotion Period. The 30% bonus miles will be counted based on their total miles converted from hotel points. For example, a member who converted 10,000 Asia Miles from hotel A loyalty programme and converted 10,000 Asia Miles from hotel B loyalty programme will get a bonus of 6,000 Asia Miles from this promotion.
- Participating hotels and loyalty programmes are listed above.
- The 15 participating hotel partners are responsible for the regular hotel points conversion from their loyalty programmes. The minimum conversion amount and conversion unit from the 15 participating loyalty programmes vary. Terms & Conditions of the 15 participating hotel loyalty programmes apply. Please refer to individual hotel partner’s webpage OR Asia Miles Hotel partner page for details.
- A valid hotel loyalty programme number under the same name of eligible Asia Miles member is required to perform the conversion. Asia Miles will not accept any liability in relation to any loss incurred due to incorrect information provided by the members.
- The eligibility of the bonus miles for a specific member will be done based on the validity of the promotion and the date of conversion provided by the participating hotel partners to Asia Miles for that respective member.
- Once the hotel points conversion to Asia Miles is successful, the request to convert hotels points cannot be cancelled or reversed.
- The Bonus Asia Miles will be rounded up to the nearest whole Asia Miles. The Bonus Asia Miles will be credited to member’s Asia Miles account in one go with the description “30% Hotel Points Conversion Bonus(2016)” on or before 31 March 2017, separately from the regular miles and the bonus miles for the partners’ individual joint promotion.
- The crediting period for earned miles varies among hotel partners. Partners must submit the regular miles transactions made during the Promotion Period to Asia Miles on or before 28 February 2017 for the transactions to be included for the Promotion.
- The Asia Miles awarded by the Promotion are not transferable or exchangeable for cash, credit, goods or services.
- The members’ Marco Polo Club/Asia Miles account must remain valid when the bonus miles are to be credited.
- Asia Miles Limited reserves the right to alter or terminate the Promotion and amend the terms and conditions at any time without prior notice.
- All matters or disputes will be subject to the final decision of Asia Miles Limited.
- Other Asia Miles terms and conditions apply.