United Airlines has launched a new campaign for buying MileagePlus miles at 25% to 75% bonus depending on the amount between January 9 – 23, 2017.
United Airlines has promotions pretty much every month for buying miles, but they all max at a 100% bonus or a 50% discount (exactly the same offer because United limits the number of miles one can purchase per year including any possible bonuses to 150K).
You can access this offer on United’s website here.
Price at the maximum bonus:
The price of a mile at the 75% bonus when buying the maximum amount is 2.15 cents each.
Does it make sense to purchase United miles?
If you use them for international business or first class tickets between expensive city pairs, then the answer is likely yes.
Sebastian recently wrote about his United award ticket success to Australia from Asia that was only 40,000 miles in combined business/first (read more here).
Not sure if this is a targeted offer or open to anyone. United sells MileagePlus miles at 50% off or 100% bonus few times a year. Unless you need miles right now, I would wait until a better offer arrives.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on January 23, 2017.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 85,000 miles.
- Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only. The bonus amount applicable to a transaction is shown in the chart. Transactions may not be aggregated to calculate the bonus.
- Bonus Miles will be credited to the recipient’s account when the transaction is complete.
- Bonus miles count towards the 150,000 mile annual limit per account.
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
- GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
- Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’.