As I am on the road close to 100% of the time, it makes contacting various entities in the United States bit difficult. Starwood has contact centers that deal with SPG issues in Ireland and Singapore as well, but I have found that the folks sitting in the United States are the most competent of them all.
Some countries block Skype and other VOIP access and calling using a landline or cellphone can be very expensive. You could probably send an email request but, if issue needs back and forth communication, it can take quite some time to resolve. My preferred channel of contacting SPG in a situation like this is the Platinum chat.
You can find the link to the chat on the upper right corner under the Customer Service-link. I then opens the actual chat-application window where you should have your name, email address, and the SPG Platinum account number. You can then enter your question to the space below. I always try to be as comprehensive and complete with my question/request, so that the Platinum concierge, dealing with the chat, can start working immediately with my issue without having to clarify several times.
Here you can see what a typical chat looks like:
What I like about the chat:
1. I can contact the SPG PLT desk in the US when I am traveling outside of the United States.
2. Can save a lot on the telecommunication costs when Skype access is blocked
3. You can have a written proof what has been discussed; like various prices using SPG50 award etc.
4. I can do other things on my laptop while the concierge is researching the issue.
5. There is very little left for misunderstanding when we both use written communication
If you are SPG Platinum member, you probably should try the chat service. It felt bit awkward when I used it first time, but it has been quite smooth sailing ever since.