Couple of weeks ago I wrote about a supposedly coming benefit for SPG Platinum members – a breakfast. Now, website update has revealed a confirmed Suite Night Awards. Not sure if this was part of bigger Starwood announcement that was to take a place in New York on 31st of this Month. We should learn more in just a few days.
How these Suite Night Awards should work?
– You need to be a Platinum member and stay 50 nights in a year. Starwood may offer these as a promotional incentives as well.
– You can request the upgrade at the time of booking and the system will start checking availability five days prior to your arrival. You will receive email updates if your upgrade clears or doesn’t.
– If the upgrade using suite night award cannot be confirmed day prior to the arrival, it gets returned to the account.
– You can cancel the suite night award request up until 2PM before the day of arrival, if it hasn’t cleared, and the award will be deposited back to your account.
– Confirmed suite award can be canceled if your cancel your reservation. The deadline is 3PM day before your arrival. If you cancel your stay after that, you will lose the award.
Not sure whether I would consider this a positive move based on my own stay patterns. Last year I had more than 110 paid stays with the Starwood alone. These new Suite Night Awards would allow me to confirm less than 10% of my stays in advance.
Unlike some others, my actual suite upgrade success has been close to 100% at international properties that have suites.
These suite awards will probably work best for those that are mainly looking for suite upgrades for their vacation stays, or for those who mainly stay at limited service properties like aLoft and Element that don’t offer suite upgrades for SPG members at all. It remains to be seen, how these will work at the most popular vacation spots like Hawaii that already have Platinum heavy clientele. It may well be that complimentary space available upgrades for Platinum members might be thing in the past, unless they are willing to confirm the upgrade using these newly minted upgrade instruments, in places like Hawaii.
Overall, I think that in this case Starwood is reacting to Hyatt that introduced their suite awards the other year. You would get four per year and they would be valid up to seven nights each, but they would only be valid for paid stays. You cannot upgrade Hyatt award stays using suite upgrade certificates.
Suite Night Award Terms & Conditions
1. Suite Night Awards may be used only on SPG Starpoint eligible room rates as well as SPG Free Night Awards and Cash & Points Awards.
2. Suite Night Awards may only be used for Standard Suites or other premium rooms as designated by the hotel.
3. Suite Night Award use is based upon availability of the requested suite or premium room within 5 – 1 day prior to arrival.
4. Suite Night Awards may be used only when there are enough applied to every night of the reservation’s entire length of stay.
5. One Suite Night Award will be required per room per night.
6. Suite Night Awards are required for each night of the stay including any nights that may be designated “free” such as the fifth night in a Fifth Night Free Award or on the third night in a promotional “Buy Two Nights, Get the Third Night Free” rate, etc.
7. Suite Night Awards may not be transferred or given as a gift; however, a member may use Suite Night Awards for additional rooms on their own stay as long as member is present for the stay and the other rooms are under the member’s name.
8. Members who book separate reservations for consecutive nights that precede or follow a reservation that has confirmed Suite Night Awards will be required to change rooms to the that which is confirmed on any night(s) where a Suite Night Award is not used.
9. If a hotel offers multiple room options for the Suite Night Award, once the suite/premium room option(s) are selected, the selection may NOT be changed unless the request for use of the Suite Night Awards is withdrawn, and the member reapplies it to the reservation.
10. Suite Night Awards have requesting, booking, cancelation, and modification policies that are in addition to–but completely separate from–the booking, cancelation, and modification policies for the reservations on which they are used.
a. Requests to use Suite Night Awards on a reservation may be made up to 2pm hotel time one day prior to arrival.
b. Requests to withdraw the use of unconfirmed Suite Night Awards may be made up to 2pm hotel time one day prior to arrival.
c. Confirmed Suite Night Awards may be canceled up to 3pm hotel time one day prior to arrival only if the entire reservation is canceled.
d. Cancellation of a Confirmed Suite Night Award after 3pm hotel time one day prior to arrival will result in the forfeiture of all Suite Night Awards applied to the entire reservation, whether or not the reservation is also canceled.
11. Not all hotels participate in Suite Night Awards. Suite Night Awards are not redeemable at certain Aloft or Element brand SPG Participating Hotels and at any Starwood Vacation Ownership properties or residential properties.About Suite Night Awards Terms & Conditions
What is a Suite Night Award?
It’s a one-night confirmable room upgrade to a suite or select premium room.
What types of reservations are eligible?
You can request an upgrade when you book SPG Starpoint-eligible room rates, Free Night Award stays and/or Cash & Points stays.
How do I earn Suite Night Awards?
Platinum Preferred Guest members who stay 50 nights annually receive 10 Suite Night Awards. We also occasionally offer Suite Night Awards as a reward earning in a promotion.
Do Suite Night Awards expire?
Yes, please check your Suite Night Awards activity page to see when your Award(s) expire.
How close to my arrival date can I request an upgrade?
You may request an upgrade until 2:00 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive.
When will I find out if my upgrade request is confirmed?
We’ll start looking for available upgrades five days before your stay. If we find one, it’s yours, and we’ll email you at the email address on your SPG profile as soon as possible.
What if an upgrade isn’t available?
If we can’t find an available upgrade five days before you arrive, we’ll email you an update and keep checking. If your request can’t be confirmed by 2 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive, we’ll notify you via email and credit the Suite Night Award(s) back to your account.
If an upgrade is not confirmed are my Suite Night Award(s) returned to my account?
If your upgrade can’t be confirmed by 2 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive, we’ll notify you via email and return the Suite Night Award(s) to your account.
Can I cancel an upgrade request?
You can cancel a request until 2 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive, as long as the Suite Night Award(s) haven’t already been confirmed for use on a reservation.
Can I cancel an upgrade after it has been confirmed?
Once your Suite Night Award(s) have been confirmed, the Award(s) are only returned to your account if you cancel your reservation. Please note that after 3 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive a reservation cancellation will result in the forfeiture of all Suite Night Award(s) applied to the entire reservation. This is in addition to any other cancellation penalties applicable to the reservation itself.
What happens if I cancel my reservation after my upgrade has been confirmed?
We will credit your Suite Night Award(s) back to your account. Please note that after 3 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive a reservation cancellation will result in the forfeiture of all Suite Night Award(s) applied to the entire reservation. This is in addition to any other cancellation penalties applicable to the reservation itself.
Can I request an upgrade to any room in the hotel?
You can request an upgrade to a suite or select premium room as designated by the hotel. Premium rooms include rooms with great views, or larger rooms. The option to request an upgrade appears when you’re making a reservation and a member can choose which rooms they would like use their Suite Night Awards for.
What if my stay is longer than the number of Suite Night Awards I’ve earned?
The number of Suite Night Awards must match the length of your stay. So, if your stay is five nights long and you only have three Suite Night Awards you can’t request an upgrade.
What if I book a promotional rate that includes a free night?
If you book a Buy 2 Nights, Get 1 Free offer, for example, you would use three Suite Night Awards for your stay. The same would be the case with Free Night Awards. If you redeem five nights, and get the fifth night free, you’d need to use five Suite Night Awards. The number of Suite Night Awards must match the length of your stay even if some night(s) of your stay are free.
Can I buy Suite Night Awards?
You can’t buy Suite Night Awards.
Can I give Suite Night Awards as a gift or transfer them to someone else?
Your Suite Night Awards are for your use only. You may not gift or transfer them. However, if you’re traveling with family and require two rooms you may request an upgrade for both rooms as long as you have enough Suite Night Awards to cover all nights for each room. Please note that both rooms must be confirmed under your name and you must stay in one of the rooms.
Can I request an upgrade for more than one room at a time?
Yes, if the additional rooms are part of your reservation you can request an upgrade for them as long as you have enough Suite Night Awards to cover the entire length of your stay for each room. One Suite Night Award is required per room per night.
Can I request an upgrade for more than one room at a time online?
At this time, you can’t request an upgrade for multiple-room reservations online. However, you can do so by calling SPG customer support.
What is the complete Suite Night Award cancel policy?
Suite Night Award(s) may be cancelled until 2 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive, as long as the Award(s) have not already been confirmed for use on a reservation. Once your Award(s) have been confirmed, you must cancel the entire reservation to have all the Award(s) returned to your account; however, after 3 p.m. local hotel time the day before you arrive, a reservation cancellation will result in the forfeiture of all Suite Night Award(s) applied to the entire reservation. This is in addition to any other cancellation penalties applicable to the reservation itself.