Tomorrow April 18th is the last day to use BMI Diamond Club miles on awards that include Lufthansa, Swiss, Brussels Airlines & Austrian. You cannot change existing awards that include any of these four airlines after 18th of April either.
At this point, it is still unclear what the situation with other Star Alliance carriers is. I posted couple of days ago that it might be likely that redeeming miles on other Star partners would continue until May 31st, 2012. To be on the safe side, however, I will call in three/four redemptions later today.
The following information was distributed to BMI employees according to a post on FT:
bmi will leave star alliance in two stages.
First stage (legal exit) effective from 17th April 2012.
Second stage (customer benefit end date) effective 31st May 2012. This will include, but will not be limited to, the following changes:
– End of Star Alliance mileage accrual on bmi operated flights.
– bmi DC members will no longer accrue mileage on Star Alliance operated flights.
– Priority reservation, waitlist and standby will cease for Star Alliance customers on bmi and vice versa.
– Priority Check-in, boarding, baggage delivery will cease for Star Alliance customers on bmi and vice versa.
– Additional baggage allowance will cease for Star Alliance customers on bmi and vice versa.
– Lounge access will cease for qualifying Star Alliance customers on bmi and vice versa.
The marketing and product development teams are currently outlining the new customer offering and will let you know the new bmi (non-aligned) product discription in the forthcomining weeks. Please note that bmi will be a non-aligned carrier as it will not join One World.