UPDATE: Seems that United has had problems with their www.ualmiles.com website. It has been down for the day.
I received an email offer from United over the weekend for 30% discount on bought miles that is going to end up later today.
United doesn’t run these as often as US Airways does that is currently offering a 100% bonus on bought miles. You can use miles from both programs for redemption tickets on Star Alliance carriers. United allows one-ways and US does not. There are other small differences as well.
If you need some miles to top off your account for an international first or business class ticket on partner airline, now is probably right time to buy them.
Here are the terms of this offer:
- Offer expires June 18 at 11:59pm CDT
- Buy Personal Miles or Give Miles for $24.50 per 1,000 miles plus a 7.5% excise tax
- Purchase up to 100,000 MileagePlus Personal miles or Give Miles per account per calendar year
- Credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
- Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000
- Minimum purchase 2,000 miles
- Allow 48 hours for miles to post to MileagePlus account
- Personal Miles and GiveMiles are non-refundable
- Purchased miles do not count toward elite qualification (TB8874/TB8875)