This past spring United had a targeted promotion for bonus miles that were dependent how many round trips you were buying and flying on United Airlines between certain dates.
Yesterday, United made a following announcement on FlyerTalk regarding the promotion:
Apparently United had been more relaxed with the ticketing dates and round trip requirement than what they had on their terms and conditions. Many FlyerTalk members reported that they had received bonus miles for flights that weren’t exactly per the terms and conditions of this promotion, and then made further plans to get the last one or two trips before the deadline to qualify for the full bonus.
Quite often companies like United have restrictive terms and conditions, and what actually posts as bonus miles or points can be quite different. United has multiple times in the past foregone the ticketing date requirement from the promos and the requirement of an exact round trip to make open jaw round trips eligible as well.
But this time United just withdraw all the awarded miles from Mileage Plus members. According to the release on FlyerTalk and the email received by participants of this promotion, the United will recalculate the miles earned from this promotion and will post them to qualified accounts sometime in July.
It is very interesting that United has so much time on their hands to recalculate some bonus miles, when people are continuously having problems with getting correct mileage posted to their accounts for the United and partner airlines flown. It is very bad form for United to withdraw miles that were already awarded.
If I had participated to this promotion and trusted United to calculate the bonus miles correctly, I would be fuming at this point.
Here are terms & conditions that United apparently didn’t follow when posting the bonus miles:
1. Offer valid only for original recipients of email or direct mail invitation.
2. To qualify, register for the offer before travel, then purchase and complete paid qualifying roundtrips to any destination worldwide on United or United Express® operated flights.
3. Ticketing period: 04/15/12 through 07/15/12.
4. Travel period: 04/15/12 through 07/15/12, excluding 07/03/12-07/05/12.
5. On specific number of paid qualifying roundtrip flights (as outlined in the offer) members can earn 5,000 bonus award miles, 10,000 bonus award miles or up to a maximum of 25,000 bonus award miles.
6. Bonus award miles do not count toward Premier® status and do not apply to class-of-service, Premier bonus miles or promotional Premier qualifying miles (PQM).
7. Offer is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
8. Offer is not valid on government fares.
9. A roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel beginning in the destination city back to the origin city.
10. Offer is not combinable and can be earned a maximum of one time. Bonus is credited 6-8 weeks after promotion end date of 07/15/12.
11. E-Ticket® purchase required. Tickets purchased in the US through United Reservations are subject to a $25 ticketing fee, and tickets purchased at airport ticket counters are subject to a $30 ticketing fee. Fees subject to change.
12. Flight activity must be posted to the member’s MileagePlus account in order to qualify for this offer.
13. Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
14. Miles accrued, awards issued and bonus offers are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. For complete details about the MileagePlus program, go to united.com.