Marriott Rewards Platinum members are now officially eligible for suite upgrades as a benefit of the status with the program. Many of the properties have upgraded Platinum members to suites previously as well, but it has not been an official benefit of the program before.
Complimentary suite upgrade, based on the availability, is valid at JW Marriott, Marriott, Renaissance, and Courtyard hotels in Australia, China, Guam, Hong Kong, Indonesia, India, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Japan and South Korea are exceptions. In these two countries the suite upgrades are offered at hotels discretion.
Most of the suite categories are included. Only ones excluded are presidential, chairman and signature suites. If your stay is longer than 3 days, the upgrade is subject to hotel’s discretion.
Tips on getting suites upgrades at Marriott properties
1. Print out the official Marriott announcement about this new benefit and carry it with you.
2. On the day of arrival check if you have been upgraded by logging into your Marriott Rewards account and pulling up your reservation.
3. If the upgraded room type is not shown, check the availability of suites by trying to make a booking.
4. At check in, if the upgrade hasn’t been processed, inquire about the suite availability.
5. Be flexible about the bedding/smoking preferences. Most of the suite type accommodations are for king bed.
6. The shorter the stay the more likely you will be upgraded.
This is a welcomed official benefit of being a Platinum member of the Marriott Rewards program, although it only applies to Asia Pacific region and excludes Japan & South Korea.
Based on my experience with other chains that have had this benefit, you may sometimes have to educate the front desk personnel about the benefits. Hotels in this region (Asia Pacific) tend to be better educated about the benefits and follow the program closer than let’s say hotels in North America.
I have had quite a few suite upgrades at Marriott hotels in Asia Pacific recently: Renaissance Kuala Lumpur, Putrajaya Marriott, Renaissance Bangkok, JW Marriott Bangkok, JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur, JW Marriott Beijing and Renaissance Beijing. These are links for videos of the suites. If you are not a subscriber on our YouTube channel, you can subscribe here.
The terms and conditions of this new benefits are:
- Complimentary suite upgrades are subject to availability for Platinum Elite members staying at participating hotels located in Asia Pacific.
- Participating hotel brands in Asia Pacific include: JW Marriott® Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott® Hotels & Resorts and Courtyard by Marriott® Hotels. Hotel locations in Asia Pacific include: Australia, China (including Hong Kong S.A.R.), Guam, India, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand and Vietnam. In Japan and South Korea, suite upgrades may be limited and may be offered at the hotel’s discretion.
- Complimentary Suite Upgrade: Generally, based on availability at check-in; in some cases, availability is determined later in the day. Limited to a Member’s personal guestroom. Upgrades include most available suite types, except Presidential Suites, Chairman Suites and other signature suites. For stays greater than 3 nights, suite upgrades are subject to the hotel’s discretion.
- Rewards Program Terms and Conditions apply.