United’s Mileage Plus just announced a conversion bonus of up to 30% for hotel points transferred to miles. This offer is valid between October 26 and November 30, 2012, and requires registration.
The bonus is dependent on number of miles transferred in and is capped at 50K miles that will yield 15K bonus miles.
You can transfer hotel points on number of programs. United will tally the total number of points transferred in and will then calculate the bonus. The maximum number of bonus miles you can earn is capped at 15K.
Here are the hotel partners that you can use to transfer points in:
Doesn’t make too much sense to convert Marriott points to United Miles. You are better off by going the Marriott Travel Package route. For 270K Marriott Rewards points you would not only get 120K United Miles but also 7 days at category 1 to 5 Marriott property.
You would only get 1 per 10 Hilton HHonors points. You would need to transfer 500000 Hilton Points that would be enough for two weeks at the Hilton Bora Bora to get 65K United miles after the bonus.
It is relatively easy to earn Priority Club points. 250K Priority Club points would transfer to 65K United Miles after the bonus that is fair.
You can get 18K United miles for every 100K Club Carlson. This is a fair transfer again. For 300K Club Carlson you would get 54K United that would be 69K United after the bonus
Hyatt Gold Passport
50K Hyatt would be 25K United. You would need to transfer 100K Hyatt to get 65K United after the transfer bonus. 100K Hyatt is about five days at top tier Hyatt property. (Please note that I have corrected this after the first publications)
Starwood Preferred Guest
Most of the other airlines would give you 25K miles for every 20K transferred, but United is 2 Starpoints per 1 miles. Transferring Starpoints to United miles make no sense at all.
This is the only program that I don’t have an opinion of whether it makes sense or not to transfer to United.
Earlier in the year, I transferred all my Wyndham points to AA. 128K Wyndham points would convert to 66200 United miles after 15K bonus that is ok.
The best time to convert hotel points to miles is when the airlines are offering transfer bonuses. But even then you should always figure out if it makes sense. I have tried to lay out above what makes sense and what doesn’t.
Here are the terms and conditions of this promotion:
MileagePlus Hotel Points-to-Miles Promotion Official Rules
- Eligibility: Offer valid only for MileagePlus® members residing in the United States.
- Registration: To qualify for this offer, members must register for the promotion between October 26, 2012 and November 30, 2012 (“Promotional Period”).
- Qualifying Activity: A member must earn a combined minimum of 5,000 award miles as a result of one or more points to miles conversion transactions from any combination of MileagePlus hotel partner programs that are conducted during the Promotional Period (“Qualifying Activity”) in order to qualify for MileagePlus Hotel Points-to-Miles bonus miles.
- Posting of Promotional Miles:At the conclusion of the promotion, all miles earned by each member from Qualifying Activity will be combined, and bonus miles will be credited into the member’s account on or before January 31, 2013, according to the following schedule:1,000 bonus miles will be deposited when Award Miles earned from cumulative Qualifying Activity is between 5,000 and 9,999;or 2,500 bonus miles will be deposited when Award Miles earned from cumulative Qualifying Activity is between 10,000 and 19,999;
or 5,000 bonus miles will be deposited when Award Miles earned from cumulative Qualifying Activity is between 20,000 and 49,999;
or 15,000 bonus miles will be deposited when Award Miles earned from cumulative Qualifying Activity is 50,000 or greater.
No bonus miles will be awarded if total Award Miles earned by such member from hotel points converted during the Promotional Period is less than 5,000. The maximum bonus miles that can be earned by a member under this promotion is 15,000. MileagePlus will not be responsible for technical problems with partner miles postings, or failures or delays in miles postings by hotel partners, that would render any points to miles converted as ineligible under this promotion.
- General: This offer is not combinable with other MileagePlus offers. Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Miles accrued, awards, and benefits issued are subject to change and are subject to the rules of the United MileagePlus program. Please allow 6-8 weeks for miles to post to your account. United may change the MileagePlus program including, but not limited to, rules, regulations, travel awards and special offers or terminate the MileagePlus program at any time and without notice. Bonus award miles, award miles and any other miles earned through non-flight activity do not count or qualify for Premier® status unless expressly stated otherwise. United and its subsidiaries, affiliates and agents are not responsible for any products and services of other participating companies and partners. Taxes and fees related to award travel are the responsibility of the member. The accumulation of mileage or Premier status does not entitle members to any vested rights with respect to the program. United and MileagePlus are registered service marks. For complete details about the MileagePlus program, go to www.united.com.