Unlike other hotel loyalty programs, you have only been able to redeem for dollar or euro off vouchers from Accor’s loyalty program. Accor doesn’t allow you to redeem points for a free nights (unless you pay using vouchers).
Now, Accor is moving to online point redemptions, where you pay the room rate fully or partially using the points that you have in your account.
This award option is now available at limited number of Accor hotels, but is expected to be chainwide by March 14, 2013.
According to the frequently asked questions by Accor, it seems that they are going entirely euro based redemptions. Right now, you could have chosen between 40 EUR or $60 voucher for 2000 Le Club Accorhotels points.
It was about the time for Accor to get rid off of paper voucher redemptions and implement an electronic one. I just hope that they allow one to choose between USD and EUR vouchers.
Here are the frequently asked question about this change by Accor:
1. Using Le Club Accorhotels points when making my reservation
You may use your Le Club Accorhotels points online to pay for all or part of your stay.
The total amount for your stay, including taxes, must be greater than or equal to the number of points converted (2,000 points = 40 €).
However, reservations for non-cancellable and non-modifiable rates must be paid in part by credit card.
You may use your Le Club Accorhotels points to make reservations on these sites: accorhotels.com, sofitel.com, pullmanhotels.com, mgallery.com, novotel.com, suitenovotel.com, mercure.com, ibishotel.com, ibisstyles.com, and adagio.com, as well as via the Accor telephone reservation center.
2. How many points do I need on my account to benefit from this advantage?
– You need at least 2,000 points when you make the reservation.
– Le Club Accorhotels points are used in multiples of 2,000 points (for example: if you have 4,540 points in your account, you may use 4,000 points).
– You may use up to 1,000,000 points per reservation.
3. What should I do if I don’t have enough points to book my stay?
You must use another payment method to cover the price difference, either online or at the hotel, according to the terms of the booked rate.
4. Will I earn Le Club Accorhotels points when I use my points to make a reservation?
The portion of your invoice that is paid using Le Club Accorhotels points is not eligible for earning points. The remainder of invoiced services are eligible, according to the rules defined in the program’s general terms and conditions.
5. If I cancel my stay, do I lose my points?
Your points will be credited back to your valid Le Club Accorhotels account in the following cases:
– Cancellation of a reservation for technical reasons, payment failure or rejection.
– Cancellation of a reservation before the date of the stay, for cancellable and modifiable rates.
– Modification of the reservation involving fewer Le Club Accorhotels points than used for the initial reservation, for cancellable and modifiable rates.
– No-show at the hotel for cancellable and modifiable rates (the amount for the first night will be invoiced).
Your points will not be credited back to your account for non-modifiable and non-reimbursable reservations, even in case of cancellation.