British Airways has just sent out an offer email for Executive Club members and offering up to 25% bonus on purchased Avios through March 28, 2013. You can access this offer here.
You need to purchase the maximum allowed per calendar year (24K) to be eligible for the 25% bonus.
The price of an Avios under this offer is 2.28 US cents each. The transaction is handled by Points.com.
Whether buying Avios makes sense, entirely depends of your individual circumstances. BA charges very high fuel surcharges on award redemptions.
Buying miles from a US program like AA, UA, or US makes more sense if your plan is to redeem for international business or first class tickets. They also have much higher ceiling what you can purchase in a calendar year.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
1. This promotion is only open to British Airways Executive Club Members (Eligible Participants). The Promoter reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. Eligible Participants confirm that they accept the terms and conditions set out below.
2. This offer allows you to collect 25% bonus Avios Points when you purchase 24,000 Avios, or 15% bonus when you purchase 5,000 Avios Points to 23,000 Avios Points between 15 February 2013 and 28 March 2013. Simply sign in to your Executive Club account and make a purchase and the bonus will automatically be credited to your account.
3. Eligible Participants may Gift Avios (purchase for someone else), provided you provide the recipeint’s membership number, in which case the recipient will receive the 25% or 15% bonus.
4. Eligible Participants may not exceed their annual 24,000 Avois Points limit.
5. This promotion cannot be used in conjunction with other promotions.
6. British Airways plc accepts no responsibility for members who are unable to fulfil the terms of this promotion. British Airways may withdraw this offer at any time.
7. This promotion has no cash value and no cash or credit alternative is available. Purchased Avios Points are non-refundable and non-transferable.
8. Avios Points are issued subject to Executive Club Terms & Conditions.
9. BA reserves the right to cancel or amend the terms of this promotion without notice in the event of major catastrophe, war, strike, civil or military disturbance, earthquake or any actual, anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other similar events beyond the reasonable control of BA.
10. By taking part in this promotion, participants agree to the personal data they supply being used by BA or its agents or subcontractors to administer this promotion, who will only use the information provided for the purpose of administering the promotion.
11. Promotional materials form part of these terms and conditions. These terms and conditions shall prevail if there is any conflict between these and the promotional materials.
12. BA is in no way liable for the reproduction of this promotion or indirect access via third party websites of these terms and conditions where such reproduction misstates or omits any of the information or terms and conditions connected with this promotion.
13. This promotion and any non-contractual obligations arising out of or in connection with it shall be governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
14. The Promoter is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777.