The other month, I gave a promise that I would try to tackle the issue about the most rewarding hotel rewards program this spring. I haven’t forgotten it. I have been contemplating the best way to incorporate the number if variables to the review to get objective results. Today I will have the first hotel program evaluated: Club Carlson.
In the next three weeks, I will tackle two programs per week; Club Carlson and Hilton HHonors this week, Hyatt Gold Passport and InterContinental Hotels Group next week, and Marriott and Starwood Preferred Guest the week after that.
Here are the variables that I will base the calculations:
– 10 3-night stays, 10, 2-night stays, and 10 1-night stays
– Calculations based on the ADR of $175
– Calculations based of having Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond, InterContinental Hotels Group Priority Club Platinum and separate for InterContinental Royal Ambassador, Marriott Platinum and SPG Platinum at 50 night level
– For IHG/Priority Club, I will do two separate valuations; one based on Royal Ambassador member that only stay at InterContinental hotels (half in the Americas and half elsewhere) and other for Priority Club Platinum member to capture the difference in earnings.
– Based on full service hotels with full earnings i.e. no Aloft’s, Hyatt Places etc.
– Not counting in any possible property or global promotions.
– Will calculate the average redemption rate for all chain properties in few major cities and use the average rate to calculate the spend requirement for a free night
– I will do separate one for the sweet spot that each of the chains have i.e. fifth night free with SPG, Marriott & SPG
– For Hilton, will calculate the yearly average point requirement for the property and use that in the calculation
Global Promotions Factored In
Once I have done these six programs, I am going to figure out, how much one would have earned from the global chain specific promotions in 2012 to get an idea about promotion inclusive point earnings.
Stay tuned for the first piece on these series that should be up in three hours.