United Airlines just sent out an email about their latest targeted MileagePlus miles sale promotion at up to 40% off that is valid until March 17, 2014.
This offer that allows you to buy up to 150,000 miles and the price of a mile purchased under this offer is 2.26 cents each.
Note that I cannot provide a link to this offer, as it has my MileagePlus account number embedded.
United recently devalued their award chart, so you should check the number of miles required for your usual award redemption before going forward with this offer.
United reduced the number of miles required for handful of awards, but greatly devalued most partner awards in business and first class. There can still be instances, where buying miles could make sense.
US Airways currently has a targeted sale (read more here) for up to 100% bonus that allows you to purchase Dividend Miles as low as 1.88 cents each and you can use these to redeem on Star Alliance until March 30, 2014, under better award chart compared to United’s.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
Buy award miles now and save 40%
(Displayed price includes all discounts)
Terms and conditions:
- One discount offer per member during the duration of the promotion.
- Minimum purchase of 10,000 miles required for this promotional pricing.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 up to a maximum of 150,000 miles.
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Displayed price includes all discounts and taxes.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer are subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on March 17, 2014.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.