United is offering economy awards between United States (excluding Hawaii & Guam) and Canada to Japan at 25% off between April 1-30, 2014.
This offer only applies for United flights and cannot have segments operated by partner airlines such as Air Canada. You can have open-jaw at the origin or destination and qualify for the discount.
You can access United’s web page for this offer here.
Note that the ticket must be issued by April 17, 2014.
Miami to Tokyo
The United award search correctly prices the awards discount.
Well. The discount would have to be at least 50% for me to take United transatlantic flight in coach considering the on-board service (lack of) compared to other airlines servicing this route.
Here the terms and conditions of this offer:
- Saver Award discount is valid for air travel only. Promotion period ends 11:59 p.m. (CT) on April 17, 2014.
- Offer is valid for travel between April 1, 2014, and April 30, 2014. Travel must be completed by April 30, 2014.
- Discount is only valid for travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights and is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
- Saver Award discount is valid only for travel between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Guam) or Canada and Japan.
- Discount is valid only for roundtrip travel in United Economy.
- Roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin region to a destination region with return travel beginning in the destination region back to the origin region with all segments on flights operated by United or United Express. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Stopovers do not qualify for this offer.
- A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
- Open jaw itineraries within the same region qualify for the discount (e.g., fly into Chicago O’Hare and out of New York/Newark).
- This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.
- United Economy roundtrip Saver Awards are redeemable at 70,000 miles for travel between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Guam) or Canada and Japan. During the promotion period, these Saver Awards are redeemable at 52,500 miles. Award pricing is subject to change without notice. Passenger is responsible for all taxes, fees, baggage service charges and surcharges applicable to award travel, including, with respect to government-imposed taxes and fees, passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18.00 per roundtrip; September 11 Security Fee of up to $10.00 per roundtrip (one-way travel may incur fees in excess of $5.00); U.S. segment tax of $4.00 for each domestic segment (takeoff and landing); U.S. excise tax of $17.20 for each international arrival and departure in the U.S.; U.S. inspection fees of up to $17.20 for each arrival in the U.S.; and non-U.S. government ticket taxes, fees and airport charges may add up to $265 per ticket as of January 1, 2014. Such taxes, fees and surcharges must be paid at the time of ticketing and are subject to change. Any valid unused award ticket may be returned to the MileagePlus Service Center, for a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue. Award seats are subject to availability and capacity-control restrictions apply. For more information on MileagePlus award travel, visit united.com/awards. Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
- This offer is not combinable with other offers.
- This offer can be combined with other award types (e.g., member can redeem Standard Awards one way and Saver Awards one way) but only the flight segment purchased with a Saver Award will be eligible for the discount.
- Only MileagePlus Global ServicesSM members and primary cardholders of select MileagePlus credit cards issued by Chase are eligible for upgrades on award tickets.
- Changes to travel dates are permitted in advance by calling the United Customer Contact Center. Changes may be subject to additional service fees of up to $200 per ticket (based on account status at time that miles were redeemed):
- After an award ticket is issued, service charges may be imposed for each requested change that necessitates the re-issuance of the ticket.
- If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the promotion period, the mileage will be credited back into the member’s account, subject to an applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the mileage-redemption rate commensurate with the new award.
- If the value of a partially used ticket is applied to travel outside of the promotion period, a new one-way ticket must be purchased or a new one-way award at the applicable mileage-redemption rate must be redeemed. The unused return portion of the ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member’s account.
- Redemption of additional award miles may be required if any portion of the itinerary is outside of the promotion period.