Thai Airways has introduced Cash + Miles on select routes from Bangkok for travel between May 14 and September 30, 2014.
You can substitute half of the miles needed for economy return by a cash component. This sounds good, right? Is it a good deal? No.
You can access Thai Airways website for this offer here.
Note that the ticket can be only issued in Thailand and the travel must start from Bangkok. This is only available for return travel.
Here are the destinations and number of miles + cash required
Bangkok to Melbourne Example:
I pulled up the paid fares on Thai Airways and the lowest one for July travel is $980.90 of which the base fare is $579.53. There is that nasty fuel surcharge of $282.
The number of miles 27,500 required + the cash component of 9K THB that is $277 + taxes/fees/fuel surcharge of $402.47 for grand total of $679.47. The “discount” from a paid fare is $301.43 for using 27,500 miles.
This sounds like a good deal, but the fuel surcharges really kill on the long-haul routes. Why would you downgrade from a miles earning ticket to an award one, use 27,500 miles and pay cash component of $679.47 when the paid fare is $980.90?
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
1. This offer is valid for Royal Orchid Plus members redeeming for themselves or their award nominees.
2. Promotional travel can only be ticketed in Thailand with international and domestic departures from Bangkok.
3. This offer is valid for booking and travel from 14 May to 30 September 2014 on stated routes only. Travel must be completed within the promotional period
4. This offer is valid on round-trip travel in economy class on THAI or THAI Smile operated flights and subject to seat availability. Travel black-out applies on public holidays (11-14July, 12August2014) in Thailand .
5. Cash plus Miles fares exclude all applicable taxes and surcharges which are collected at ticketing.
6. Date/time changes permitted within the promotional period subject to fees.
7. Rerouting is not permitted
8. No refunds of cash. Miles will not be re-credited once ticketed.
9. No miles will be accrued on this offer.
10. This offer cannot be combined with other offers or promotions.
11. THAI retains the right to alter the promotion or terms and conditions without prior notice