Hyatt offers Best Price Guarantee that promises to match a lower price found online and further discount it by 20%.
Until last week, Hyatt had the claim process set up in a way that required you to call the toll free number in the US and the agent would process it during the call. This has now changed. From now on, you must fill out a web form and Hyatt promises to get back to you within 24 hours.
You can access Hyatt’s web page for their Best Rate Guarantee program here.
The claim form:
Seems that you must do quite a bit of typing to fill out the form. It does allow you to include a screenshot from a competing site, but the rate must still be available when the Hyatt agent tries to verify it.
You don’t have to have a reservation done at the time of filing for the claim. Apparently, they will make the reservation for you at a lower rate if your claim is approved.
Seems that if you can speak French you can continue doing BRG’s over the phone. Hyatt has only changed the English version of the BRG program terms and conditions with the form requirement.
Phoning is likely the only way to process a BRG if your check in is within 24 to 48 hours.
I normally write about Best Rate Guarantee programs if and when I have utilized them. I have no personal experience with the Hyatt’s one.
Based on my experience with other programs, I don’t have a problem with web form submissions IF they are processed promptly that is not often case. Programs can sit on the claims (sometimes for days) until the lower rates are gone from competing sites and then deny them.
Being able to phone in the claim is certainly helpful for some that can instantly know if their claim is approved or not.
Hotel chains rarely have the lowest rates available on their websites. If you take your time and effort, you can save a lot by filling these BRG claims.
Here are the terms and conditions of the Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee program:
Hyatt guarantees that it provides the lowest online bookable rate for room reservations at Hyatt hotels available to the general public on the Internet, subject to the following terms and conditions:
If you find a publicly available and immediately bookable room-only rate on the Internet for a Hyatt hotel (“Competing Rate”) that is lower than the room rate available for the same reservation on http://www.hyatt.com (i.e., same hotel, same type of room, same number of guests, same dates of stay and same length of stay), then prior to or within 24 hours of booking the reservation on http://www.hyatt.com, please submit your claim request online via our online claim form.
If Hyatt confirms the availability of the Competing Rate on the Internet, subject to room availability at the applicable Hyatt hotel, Hyatt agrees to match the Competing Rate for the same reservation, plus discount an additional twenty percent (20%) off the room rate for the duration of the stay being so reserved. This guarantee does not apply to:
• Opaque or auction sites where the hotel brand and/or the specific hotel is not known until booking is finalized. Examples of these types of sites include, but are not limited to, Priceline and Hotwire.
• Web sites that “package” travel, entertainment, hotel and/or food components such as airfare and hotel stay, hotel stay and car rental, hotel stay and restaurant voucher, etc. Examples of package websites include, but are not limited, to Site 59 and Delta Vacations.
• Packaged rates that include taxes, service charges, meals, coupons, parking, services, or other amenities.
• Qualified discount rates including, but not limited to, Government, AAA or Senior Citizen Discounts.
• Unpublished, negotiated rates with corporations, travel agencies, groups, associations or other rates that are specifically agreed upon by Hyatt (or a Hyatt hotel) and a specified and limited group, and are not publicly available.
• Hyatt Residence Club, Hyatt Vacation Club properties or any residential or extended stay apartment properties (e.g. The Galleria Residences in Dubai).
In the event that the Competing Rate is in a different currency from the Hyatt rate, Hyatt shall convert the Competing Rate into the same currency as the rate offered on the Hyatt website. If, after conversion to the same currency, a Competing Rate is less than one percent (1%) lower than the Hyatt rate, then such competing rate shall not qualify for the Best Rate Guarantee. Such deviations are often the result of fluctuations in currency exchange rates and other factors beyond Hyatt’s control.
This Guarantee applies only to the room rate for the duration of the reservation and does not apply to taxes, tariffs or fees imposed by a governmental authority (e.g., federal, state or local) or any gratuities, guest incidental charges, food and beverage charges, resort fees, and any other fees or charges that you may incur during your stay.
If you have already booked a prepaid stay on Hyatt.com, and find a Competing Rate that meets these terms and conditions set forth here, then Hyatt will refund the full amount originally charged to your credit card for the rate booked on Hyatt.com and charge your credit card for the full stay based on the new rate
The number of Hyatt Gold Passport points awarded to you if you are a Hyatt Gold Passport member will be based on the room rate actually paid by you upon checkout.
This guarantee is subject to change or revocation at anytime.
Here are the frequently asked questions by Hyatt:
1. What are the requirements for submitting a claim for Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee?
When comparing rates between Hyatt and other sites, if you find a lower rate than what is offered on Hyatt.com, simply submit an online claim form. A Hyatt.com representative will review your claim and respond with the status of your claim within 24 hours. The rate must be for the same hotel, type of accommodations, room type and bed type, as well as the same dates and number of guests. The lower rate must meet the Terms and Conditions to qualify for the Best Rate Guarantee.
2. If I am able to find a lower rate, how do I contact Hyatt?
Simply fill out our online claim form, and a Hyatt.com representative will review your claim and respond with the status of your claim within 24 hours.
3. If I find a lower rate, after I have already booked my reservation on Hyatt.com, can I still qualify for Hyatt’s Best Rate Guarantee?
Yes. If you find a lower rate within 24 hours of making your Hyatt.com reservation, simply fill out our online claim form, and a Hyatt.com representative will review your claim and make the appropriate adjustments to your rate if the Terms and Conditions are met
4. When will I know if my rate will be adjusted?
All claims will be handled and responded to within 24 hours. The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee representative will go to the web site where the lower rate was found and ensure it is for the same terms and conditions as the Hyatt.com rate, for the same length of stay, and otherwise qualifies under the Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions. If the claim qualifies, they will apply the 20% discount.
5. Do I receive 20% off of each night?
The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee is determined based off the total stay rate, not a nightly rate.
6. Are taxes and service charges included in the guarantee?
The Hyatt Best Rate Guarantee only applies to the total room rate. It does not apply to any taxes, service charges, gratuities or other fees.
7. What is acceptable evidence of a lower rate?
When you submit an online claim form, you will be asked to provide the URL where the lower rate was found, and a screenshot showing the lower rate on the competing website. A Hyatt.com representative will attempt to validate availability of the lower rate, and verify that it complies with the Terms and Conditions of the guarantee. If the rate is no longer available, the guarantee will not apply.
8. Are Hyatt Gold Passport points awarded for bookings that qualify for the Hyatt.com Best Rate Guarantee?
Yes. The number of Hyatt Gold Passport points to be awarded to Hyatt Gold Passport members will be based on the rate actually paid upon checkout. Normal Hyatt Gold Passport benefits will apply based on your tier level.