I have written about IHG’s Best Price Guarantee program that doles out free nights if you can fulfill the terms and conditions of the program(very difficult) numerous times.
Basically you can get the first night free if you can find a 3rd party sites selling the same room cheaper (many requirements in the small print).
You can access IHG Best Price Guarantee web page here.
The main hurdles for a successful claim are:
1. Finding an OTA (online travel agent) that sells the room on the same currency as it is displayed by default on IHG.com
2. The room type must be same
3. You must book the lowest rate on IHG.com that you can then compare to 3rd party rates
4. The rate must be still available on 3rd party site at the time of the IHG Best Price Guarantee team verifying it.
5. The hotel must adjust the stay complimentary or you must pay for it up front and wait for the reimbursement from IHG.
When I tried to do IHG BRG last time in May (read more here), the response time was more than 37 hours, although IHG promises to get back within 24 hours.
Earlier today, I booked an Intercontinental hotel on IHG’s website for $257 when 3rd party was selling the same property for $199. I filed a claim to see how long it currently takes for IHG BRG team to process these.
The response came about 16 hours later after I had filed the claim. Not quite good as the 4 hour turnaround times already this year, but better than those two day waits back in May.
I have always said that if companies are offering these Best price Guarantees they should stand behind them of scrap them altogether. I am glad that the current turnaround time is far more acceptable 16 hours than what I experienced back in May.
How have your experiences with IHG Best Price Guarantee programs been lately?