Marriott Rewards sent out an email today offering 10% off Member Exclusive Rates for stays in Protea hotels in Africa.
The email states that the Protea is expected to become fully Marriott Rewards participating brand sometime in 2015. What the email fails to communicate, however, is that there are ZERO benefits currently for Marriott Rewards members to stay or book Protea hotels.
You can access Marriott Rewards page for Protea hotels here:
Here’s brief summary of current elite benefits at Protea hotels:
– Marriott Rewards members don’t earn points for Protea stays
– Marriott Rewards members cannot use points for stays at Protea hotels
– Marriott Rewards elite status benefits currently don’t apply for stays at Protea hotels
– Marriott Rewards members don’t earn elite qualifying nights for their stays at Protea hotels
– Marriott Rewards members may save 10% by booking Member Exclusive Rate when staying at Protea hotels
Providing elite level benefits such as space available upgrades and breakfast shouldn’t have been that difficult to implement from the getco. There are no benefits for Marriott Rewards members to stay at Protea hotels before they are fully participating in the rewards program that is expected to happen sometime in 2015.
It is good that Marriott has relatively strong footprint in Africa (compared to other chains) after acquiring Protea and Marriott Rewards members will receive their points and benefits once the implementation has been completed. It does, however, seems to take a long time.