United Airlines has just launched their August targeted buy MileagePlus miles campaign that is valid until August 18, 2014.
The offer allows you to buy up to 150,000 miles at 35% off. The price of a mile under this offer is 2.45 cents.
Note that I cannot provide a link to this targeted offer as the MileagePlus number (mine) is embedded on the link.
The discount percentage is 25% for purchases of up to 19,000 miles and 35% for purchase of 20,000 miles or more.
United recently devalued their award chart, so you should check the number of miles required for your usual award redemption before going forward with this offer.
United did reduced the number of miles required for handful of awards, but greatly devalued most partner awards in business and first class. There can still be instances, where buying miles can make sense. Personally, I wouldn’t buy United miles even at 2.45 cents each unless I have immediate use for them that saves me some significant cash.
Here are the terms and conditions of this targeted offer:
- Minimum purchase of 5,000 miles required for this promotional pricing.
- Buy 5,000 to 19,000 miles and receive a 25% discount, or buy 20,000 miles or more for a 35% discount.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 up to a maximum of 150,000 miles.
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on August 18, 2014.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.