Virgin Atlantic has new awards seat sale using its Flying Club miles. You can ave 25% off of Economy and Premium Economy awards for all destinations (no Premium Economy to/from Cape Town).
This offer is valid for award tickets booked and issued between September 9-23, 2014, until the end of schedule (couldn’t find a travel by date from the T&C’s).
You can access this offer on Virgin Atlantic’s website here.
The issue I have with the Virgin Atlantic Flying Cub miles and why I have 697K of them sitting on my account at the moment, are the very high fuel surcharges that the airline assesses on most of its routes. If you are lucky, you may be able to save 50% of the paid fare by issuing a non-mileage earning award ticket instead of cash one.
Here are the Economy destinations and mileage required for a return trip:
Here are the Premium Economy destinations and mileage required for a return trip:
Here’s price display for London to Los Angeles economy award return in November:
You are required to pay 31.874 miles + $433.
The same paid flights would be $845 tax inclusive + would earn miles as well.
This sale could probably make more sense if redeemed during high season, but then there might not be award availability all, or in Premium Economy, although the Premium Economy fees are even higher.
BTW it seems that Virgin Atlantic has started to suppress fuel surcharges it collects on economy awards. If they hadn’t done this, you would only save $214.20 by issuing an economy award instead of just paying for the return trip
Here are the terms and conditions of this sale:
1. Flying Club reward flights are subject to the payment of applicable taxes, charges, fees and surcharges. The exact amount will be advised at the time of booking online or via our Contact Centres.
2. Offer valid for travel in Economy and Premium Economy Class only across all routes except for Premium Economy to/from Cape Town. Little Red flights are also included.
3. This offer is for full mileage reward seats only, and cannot be combined with Miles Plus Money fares.
4. CombiFares are permitted.
5. The 25% reduction in mileage offer can be booked on different routes as long as both routes are included in the promotion e.g. London – San Francisco and Los Angeles to London.
6. Once the booking has been ticketed, amending the route is not permitted.
7. Date changes can be made (normal charges apply).
8. Credit card upgrades can be applied to this offer.
9. All Virgin Atlantic Reward seat travel is strictly subject to availability. Some flights may have no availability on certain routes, and popular dates e.g. Weekends, school and public holidays.
10. Passengers are not entitled to earn Flying Club miles or tier points.