United Airlines has launched a “BuyMilesHoliday” to go with some merchandise catalog that the airline has sent to some MileagePlus members.
You can purchase miles at 25% discount until December 31, 2014.
You can access United’s web page for this offer here.
The price of a mile purchased under this offer is 2.81 US cents each.
Note that you can currently purchase United miles by going the Award Accelerator route for 1.9 US cents each (read more here).
Using miles to “purchase” merchandise and top up your account using this mileage sale to get such an item as video camera makes zero sense. If you have more miles from business travel that you don’t know what to do with, it can be ok to “purchase” an item from the catalog.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
Save 25% when you purchase award miles
(Displayed price includes all discounts)
- To take advantage of this offer, you must use the order links on this page.
- Minimum purchase of 2,000 miles required for this promotional pricing.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles, and in increments of 5,000 up to a maximum of 150,000 miles.
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Displayed price includes all discounts and taxes.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on December 31, 2014.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.