United Airlines has a separate 20% off MileagePlus award tickets promotion for travel between United States or Canada and Japan between January 13 – March 11, 2015.
The discount only applies for economy saver awards on United flights that are ticketed between December 12 and January 11, 2015.
You can access this offer on United’s website here.
Note that you normally require 35,000 miles one-way for travel between United States or Canada and Japan in Economy. This is lowered to 28,000 miles one-way for the duration of this sale.
If you are planning to visit Japan this winter, make sure to check the paid fares as well. The prices to Japan tend to be competitive from many markets and this could end up being a non-deal.
Here are the terms and conditions of this award sale:
- Saver Award discount valid only for air travel. Promotion period ends 11:59 p.m. (CT) on January 11, 2015.
- Offer is valid for travel completed between January 13, 2015, and March 11, 2015.
- Discount on Saver Awards to Japan is valid only for travel on United- and United Express®-operated flights and is not valid on United-marketed codeshare flights operated by other carriers.
- Discounted Saver Award is valid only for travel between the U.S. (excluding Hawaii) or Canada and Japan.
- Discount is valid only for roundtrip travel in United Economy.
- For this offer, a roundtrip is defined as travel from an origin city to a destination city with return travel ending at the first origin city with all segments on flights operated by United or United Express. A segment is defined as one takeoff and one landing. Open jaw itineraries within the same region do qualify for the discount (e.g., fly into Tokyo and out of Osaka). Stopovers do not qualify for this offer.
- A booking service charge may apply for travel booked less than 21 days before departure.
- Award pricing is subject to change without notice. This offer cannot be applied to previously issued tickets.
- Passenger is responsible for all taxes, fees, baggage fees and surcharges applicable to award travel, including, with respect to government-imposed taxes and fees, passenger facility charges (PFCs) of up to $18.00 per roundtrip; September 11th Security Fee of $5.60 per one-way trip that does not include a government-defined stopover, for awards for air transportation originating at an airport in the U.S.; U.S. segment tax of $4.00 for each domestic segment (take-off and landing); U.S. excise tax of $17.20 for each international arrival and departure in the U.S.; U.S. inspection fees of up to $17.20 for each arrival in the U.S.; and non-U.S. government ticket taxes, fees and airport charges may add up to $265 per ticket as of January 1, 2014. Such taxes, fees and surcharges must be paid at the time of ticketing and are subject to change. Any valid unused award ticket may be returned to the MileagePlus Service Center, for a service charge, up to one year from the date of issue. Award seats are subject to availability, and capacity-control restrictions apply. For more information on MileagePlus award travel, visit united.com/awards.
- Travel on award tickets is not eligible for mileage accrual in United MileagePlus or any other loyalty program.
- Not combinable with other offers.
- Combinable with other award types (e.g., member can redeem Standard Awards one way and Saver Awards one way) but only the flight segment purchased with a Saver Award will be eligible for discount.
- Only members with Global ServicesSM status and primary cardholders of select MileagePlus Credit Cards issued by Chase are eligible for upgrades on award tickets.
- Changes to travel dates are permitted in advance by calling the United Customer Contact Center. Changes may be subject to additional service fees of up to $200 per ticket (based on account status at the time when the miles were redeemed).
- If a wholly unused ticket is exchanged for travel outside of the promotion period, the mileage will be credited back into the member’s account, subject to an applicable service charge, and a new ticket will be issued at the mileage redemption rate commensurate with the new award.
- If the value of a partially used ticket is applied to travel outside of the promotion period, a new one-way ticket must be purchased or a new one-way award at the applicable mileage-redemption rate must be redeemed. The unused return portion of the ticket is not valid for travel and cannot be credited back into the member’s account.
- Redemption of additional award miles may be required if any portion of the itinerary is outside of the promotion period.
- Offer is subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.