Marriott purchased Cape Town based Proteal hotels, which has hotels all over Africa, back in November 2013 (read more here).
The integration of Protea Hotels to the Marriott Rewards platform has taken its time, but the first 26 hotels become participating on February 23 and rest sometime later in the 2015.
You can access Marriott’s web page for Protea hotels here.
Marriott Rewards members earn 10 points per USD spent at these properties and the stays are MegaBonus eligible from 23rd of February onward. You should be able to earn airline miles with all partner airline for Protea stays. It is unclear exactly what the Marriott Rewards elite benefits will be
Here’s the list of Protea hotels participating on February 23, 2015 with their assigned award categories:
Protea Hotel Breakwater Lodge Waterfront
Protea Hotel North Wharf Waterfront
Protea Hotel President
Protea Hotel Sea Point
Protea Hotel Victoria Junction Waterfront
Protea Hotel Cape Castle Waterfront
Protea Hotel Wanderers
Protea Hotel Balalaika Sandton
Protea Hotel Parktonian All-Suite
Protea Hotel Midrand
Protea Hotel O.R. Tambo Airport
Protea Hotel Samrand
Protea Hotel Transit O.R. Tambo Airport
Protea Hotel Roodepoort
Here are other Protea hotels that will join the Marriott Rewards later in the 2015:
- Arabella Hotel & Spa
- Protea Hotel Stellenbosch
- Protea Hotel Dorpshuis & Spa
- Protea Hotel Cumberland
- Protea Hotel Franschhoek
- Protea Hotel Saldanha Bay
- African Pride Pumba Private Game Reserve
- African Pride Hacklewood Hill Country House
- African Pride The Sands at St. Francis
- Protea Hotel King George
- Protea Hotel Mossel Bay
- Protea Hotel Knysna Quays
- Protea Hotel Outeniqua
- Protea Hotel Riempie Estate
- Protea Hotel Marine
- Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! – Menlyn
- Protea Hotel Bloemfontein
- Protea Hotel Bloemfontein Central
- Protea Hotel Willow Lake
- Protea Hotel Kimberley
- Protea Hotel Hazyview
- Protea Hotel Kruger Gate
- Protea Hotel Nelspruit
- Protea Hotel The Winkler
- Protea Hotel Karridene Beach
- Protea Hotel Imperial
- Protea Hotel Hilton
- African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
- Protea Hotel Capital
- Protea Hotel Oasis
- Protea Hotel Upington
- Protea Zebula Lodge
- Protea Hotel Montrose
- African Pride Audacia Manor Boutique Hotel
- Protea Hotel Highveld
- Protea Hotel Witbank
- Protea Hotel Klerksdorp
- Protea Hotel Mahikeng
- Protea Hotel Ranch Resort & Lion Park
- Protea Hotel Landmark
- Protea Hotel The Richards
- Protea Hluhluwe & Safaris
- Protea Hotel Richards Bay
- Protea Hotel Umfolozi River
- Protea Hotel Waterfront Richards Bay
- The Bayshore Inn
- Protea Hotel Empangeni
- Protea Hotel Clarens
- Protea Hotel Pelican Bay
- Guesthouse Indongo
- Protea Hotel Walvis Bay
- Protea Hotel Long Beach
- Protea Hotel Burning Shore
- Protea Hotel Thuringerhof
- Protea Hotel Furstenhof
- Protea Hotel Ondangwa
- Protea Hotel Sea-View Zum Sperrgebiet
- Protea Hotel Zambezi River Lodge
- Protea Hotel Victoria Island
- Protea Hotel Leadway Ikeja
- Protea Hotel Ikeja
- Protea Hotels Select Ikeja
- Protea Hotel Ikoyi Westwood
- Protea Hotel Kuramo Waters
- Protea Hotel Select Emotan Benin City
- Protea Hotel Ekpan Warri
- Protea Hotel Abuja
- Protea Hotel Asokoro
- Protea Hotel Apo Apartments
- Protea Hotel Ryalls
- Protea Hotel Lusaka
- Protea Hotel Lusaka Tower
- Protea Hotel Cairo Road
- Protea Hotel Livingstone
- Protea Hotel Safari Lodge
- Protea Hotel Chipata
- Protea Hotel Chingola
- Protea Hotel Entebbe
- Protea Hotel Amani Beach
- Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins
- Protea Hotel Kampala
- Protea Hotel Courtyard Dar es Salaam
- Protea Hotel Oyster Bay Dar es Salaam
It has taken Marriott quite some time to integrate these hotels to the loyalty platform. Let’s hope that they have some Protea related bonus points promotion coming our way to celebrate this milestone.
Here are Marriott Rewards frequently asked questions about Protea hotels:
Protea Hotels in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban will participate in Marriott Rewards® starting February 23, 2015 after some necessary system upgrades. The remaining locations across Africa within the Protea Hotels portfolio will join Marriott Rewards in late 2015 after the same necessary system upgrades. Until then, Rewards members are unable to earn Elite benefits, Elite nights, points or airline miles for stays made prior to these dates.
When is Protea Hotels joining Marriott Rewards?
Protea Hotels will participate in Marriott Rewards at 26 select locations in South Africa starting February 23, 2015 after some necessary system upgrades. Members will enjoy Elite benefits and earn Elite nights and points or airline miles for stays arriving on or after this date.
Why is Marriott Rewards only available at select locations within Protea Hotels?
We are excited to launch Marriott Rewards at 26 locations across South Africa starting February 23, 2015 after some necessary system upgrades at these locations. These upgrades will help provide the excellent program and service delivery our members expect from a Marriott Rewards participating brand. The remaining locations within the Protea Hotels portfolio will join Marriott Rewards in late 2015 after the same necessary system upgrades.
When will I be able to earn and redeem Marriott Rewards points at the Protea Hotels remaining locations?
After some necessary system upgrades across the remaining locations, they are targeted to also participate in Marriott Rewards in late 2015 (exact date TBD).
When and how will members be notified when the remaining hotels will participate in Marriott Rewards in late 2015?
At this time, an official date has not been determined. Marriott Rewards members will be notified when an official date is chosen for late 2015 through our Marriott Rewards communication channels, including: Insiders, email notification and MarriottRewards.com.
Will retroactive night credits and points be credited to my account if I stay at a Protea Hotels location that is not yet participating in Marriott Rewards?
No. Members who make stays before February 23, 2015, when the first 26 locations start participating in Marriott Rewards, will not earn points, miles or nights retroactively. Additionally, members who make stays before the end of 2015 (exact date TBD), when the remaining locations start participating in Marriott Rewards, will not earn points, miles or nights retroactively.
Will I be able to book a room using points for a free stay at Protea Hotels prior to February 23, 2015?
No. Until the 26 Protea Hotels locations officially participate in Marriott Rewards on February 23, 2015, members will be unable to secure a reservation using points through any Marriott booking channel, including Marriott.com, global reservations or our Marriott app.
If I made a reservation prior to February 23, 2015 for an arrival date after February 23, 2015 at one of the 26 Protea Hotels locations participating starting February 23, 2015, will I receive Elite night credit and points for that stay when I checkout?
Yes. If you made a reservation prior to February 23, 2015 for an arrival date after February 23, 2015, you will receive Elite credit and points upon checkout as long as your reservation contains your Marriott Rewards account number.
As an Elite member, will I receive any of my Elite benefits from the program during my stays prior to Protea Hotels joining the program?
No. Until a Protea Hotels location officially joins Marriott Rewards either on February 23, 2015 or in late 2015, members will not receive the Elite level benefits they normally receive at participating brands.
When Protea Hotels fully participates in Marriott Rewards, how many points will I earn for my stay?
For participating Protea Hotels locations, members will earn 10 points per US dollar on room rate only.
When participating Protea Hotels locations become part of Marriott Rewards, will members of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards® also earn points, miles, Elite nights and enjoy Elite benefits at that time?
Yes. As the exclusive luxury partner with Marriott Rewards, members of The Ritz-Carlton Rewards will also be able to earn and redeem points and receive the appropriate Elite benefits when participating Protea Hotels locations join Marriott Rewards on February 23, 2015 or in late 2015 (exact date TBD).
What is African Pride Hotels and will they participate in Marriott Rewards?
Protea Hotels includes the brand extensions Protea Hotel Fire & Ice! and African Pride Hotels, and all will participate in Marriott Rewards either starting on February 23, 2015 or in late 2015 (exact date TBD).
As a miles-earning member, will I be able to earn miles with all current airline partners when participating locations join Marriott Rewards on February 23, 2015?
At this time, we anticipate a vast majority, if not all, of Marriott Rewards’ airline partners will allow for mileage earning at participating Protea Hotels locations when they join Marriott Rewards on February 23, 2015.
Here are Marriott Terms and Conditions for earning points at Protea hotels:
- Protea Hotels in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban will participate in Marriott Rewards® starting February 23, 2015 after some necessary system upgrades. The remaining locations across Africa within the Protea Hotels portfolio will join Marriott Rewards in late 2015 after the same necessary system upgrades. Until then, Rewards members are unable to earn Elite benefits, Elite nights, points or airline miles for stays made prior to these dates.
- Promotion rate is a 10% discount on best available rate and is per room, per night and based on availability at the time of reservation.
- Offer applies to members of Marriott Rewards or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards only.
- Valid member account number must be used to secure reservation to qualify.
- Discount applicable for arrivals seven (7) days a week.
- Advance reservation required.
- 10% discount cannot be combined with any other promotion or group discount.
- Rooms booked through third-party online retailers, such as Expedia.com, Orbitz.com, Travelocity.com, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, etc. are not eligible for discount offering. Wholesale packages and series tours are not eligible regardless of booking source.
- Available for up to two (2) rooms booked and paid for by the member.
- Blackout dates may apply.