This week’s Compensation Clinic is from a LoyaltyLobby reader’s stay at the Hilton Curacao Resort that I had on Reader Questions piece last week (read more here).
Remember that you can email me your compensation cases with travel providers and I feature one case every Sunday.
You can access Hilton Curacao’s website here.
Here’s the email from the reader:
Hi john. I read your blog all the time, especially the compensation clinic. I’m currently only day one into my 6 day and 2 room stay at the Hilton Curaçao…I’m a Hilton diamond btw. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind sharing advice on any steps I should take…here is the jis so far…
– No HHonors check-in, when inquired about HHonors check-in I was asked to “wait in line like everyone else.” There were about 7 people in line.
– Felt the check-in agent had to be promoted for everything
– No explanation of amenities
– No welcome waters
– There was arrivals no record of my arrivals order (strawberries, cookies and sprite for the kids)–it took an 1 1/2hrs to receive the welcome arrivals I ordered in advance.
– When they arrived the cookies were burnt, kids wouldn’t eat them.
– The room is extremely dirty. Actually very disgusting; walls toilet, doors, bathroom.
– Ceiling leaking, woke up this morning to a large puddle in bathroom. And the ceiling bulging (from water)
– A/C not working….turning out the a/c was busted and amused the leaking.
– Smudge marks from maintenance — dirty gross finger prints all over the wall.
– Broken hair dryer
All of this in less than 24hrs…
Thoughts? Advice? Thanks for any help john!
And here’s the follow up after meeting with the General Manager:
We continued to have add’l issues through the stay, but my sister was so happy with the private beach, in her mind it was worth my dissatisfaction! Ha. Anyhow, it took several days before a meeting between the GM and I could happen. After discussing the issues, showing video and photos here was the compensation.
– Of the two rooms (both paid stays), he offered to comp one room for the entire week or award the equivalent points…I took the points as I booked a $99 a night military rate (that rate should have been my first clue). I received 180,000 Hilton points.
– The GM also comped Thanksgiving dinner for all 8 of us, close to a $400 bill.
– Each day the Director of Housekeeping cake to check the room and personally made sure I was satisfied with the cleaning.
– We received a new batch of cookies, strawberries and sprite and the the order was comped.
– The putt putt course was cleaned, so we could actually play.
– A bottle of campaign was sent up to our room.
– The next day a bottle of Merlot was sent up to the room.
– The final day a fruit basket was sent up with a good-bye note from the GM.
Seems that the General Manager took the service recovery seriously by offering 180,000 Hilton HHonors points and other goodies. Not sure why getting hold of the person was that difficult, however.