Only 10 days left before our stay and nights counters reset to zero and the counting of the nights/stays for the 2015 membership year begins.
It is not, however, too late to get the last few nights or stays in before the 2015 kicks in.
You should bear in mind that:
1. You don’t actually have to stay. You can just check in and request that you settle the folio immediately. You can tell that you are leaving early in the morning and don’t have time for it then.
2. If you are not actually staying, just choose the cheapest property around where you happen to be. I was once driving to Palm Springs from Los Angeles and checked to a random Fairfield Inn along the way to get my credit.
3. Remember that with Starwood you can get stay and nights credits for up 3 rooms that are under your name and you pay for. So, if you are short of 6 stays, you can just do 2 stays with 3 rooms each (3 X 2 = 6).
4. Hilton, IHG and Starwood count award nights toward elite qualification. Cash + Points nights are qualifying with the three mentioned + Hyatt.
5. One another option is to qualify for early 2015 before your downgraded status kicks in. The plus side is that the status would be then valid all the way to 2017.
I have certainly done a few mattress runs over the years when the bonus points and/or other benefits received have exceeded the cash outlay. Like tonight, I decided to stay at one Global Hotel Alliance affiliated hotel in Helsinki just to get the stay credit in order to receive the Black status with the program.