Hilton HHonors made an announcement today that standard WiFi access will become complimentary for blue and Silver members starting in August.
Hilton HHonors Diamond members will receive premium internet access free, where available, starting sometime in the second quarter. There is no change for the Gold member internet benefit.
You can access Hilton’s web page for status related benefits here.
Here’s the Hilton’s announcement:
- Our most loyal guests, Diamond members, will receive complimentary premium Wi-Fi beginning in the second quarter this year at all of our properties when they book directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or via one of our corporate travel partners.
- Starting in August, we will extend complimentary standard Wi-Fi access to Blue and Silver members when they book their stays directly through a proprietary Hilton channel or one of our corporate travel partners.
- Complimentary standard Wi-Fi will continue to be a benefit for HHonors Gold members who also book directly through our proprietary Hilton channels or one of our corporate travel partners.
- Booking directly through a proprietary Hilton channel one of our corporate travel partners:
- The Hilton HHonors mobile app
- Online from hilton.com, HHonors.com, or any of our brand/hotel websites
- Calling Hilton Reservations Customer Care: 1-800-HHonors or your local Hilton reservations office
- Calling an individual hotel (plus walk-ins and physical on-property too)
- Via corporate travel agencies and travel professionals that book via a Hilton proprietary channel
- This update doesn’t apply to hotels where there is a resort charge.
Here’s how the free internet has spread over the past two years (IHG started):
And issues with the internet access at hotels:
So, now finally all the main 5 (Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott and Starwood) hotel chains offer standard internet free for all members that book directly. Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott and Starwood offer premium version complimentary for their top tier (and some for mid too) members too.
I truly hope that Hilton makes the properties to upgrade their internet connections so that they are actually useful. Nothing is worse than a “free” internet connection where Google Maps and Gmail are timing out.
Hilton had to do this change to stay competitive with their main rivals. I am glad that as a Diamond member I can now choose the premium one for fee.