Marriott Rewards has various Travel Packages redemption options where for instance you get a 7 night hotel award + a variable number of airline miles in your chosen airline for a set number of points.
In my opinion, this is the best way to use Marriott Rewards points. You get a 7 night hotel award and then can “purchase” airlines miles at ONE Marriott Rewards point per ONE mile with Package 1 airlines.
You can access the Marriott Rewards Travel Packages website here.
Here are my Travel Packages tips:
– These are not available online – you have to call.
– The hotel award is valid for 12 months but can be extended by another 12 months at least once by contacting Marriott Rewards customer service.
– They are perfect for those that wish to stay 7 nights at the same hotel. However, the nights can’t be split and shorter stays will forfeit the remainder nights.
– If all the nights are not available as awards, you can have paid nights in between. You need to contact Marriott Rewards customer service for this.
– Redeem for these when airlines are offering bonus points for hotel points conversions (at least United and American Airlines tend to do this yearly).
– Due to Marriott Rewards and United Airlines MileagePlus RewardsPlus partnership, you get 10% bonus when crediting the airline part to MileagePlus.
– You can later up your Travel Package to a higher category one by paying the difference in points. Always redeem at the category 1-5 level if not sure where you are going to use it.
– Remember that you can purchase 50,000 Marriott Rewards points every calendar year. You can use those to top up your account for a Travel Package redemption.
Here are the available Travel Packages:
United Airlines MileagePlus + 10% Bonus
you can get a 10% bonus by having the air part of the travel package credited to United Airlines due to the RewardsPlus partnership.
Participating airlines: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, American Airlines, British Airways, Delta Air Lines, Frontier Airlines, GOL, Hawaiian Airlines, Iberia and Virgin Atlantic
These airlines give you the most miles when having them as transfer partners.
Participating airlines: Aeroflot, airberlin, Air China, Air France- KLM (Flying Blue), Alitalia, ANA , Asiana, Avianca (LifeMiles), Cathay Pacific (Asia Miles ), China Eastern, China Southern, Emirates, Etihad Airways, Japan Airlines, Jet Airways, LAN, Lufthansa (Miles & More), Qantas, Qatar Airways, Saudia Airlines, Singapore Airlines, TAP Air Portugal and Turkish Airlines.
You don’t get as many miles with these airlines, but some of them may offer better award availability and/or routing by using their own miles compared to competitors.
Package 3 Southwest Airlines
Marriott Rewards has its own chart for Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards points, although these are priced at the same level as the Package 1 miles.
Package 4 JetBlue TrueBlue & Virgin America Elevate
The number of TrueBlue or Elevate points are limited to more traditional airline miles that are available on other packages. Remember that using TrueBlue and Elevate points for flights have a fixed value and the awards are priced dynamically. Both airlines do have partner airlines with a fixed number of miles required.
This is the way that I have always used my Marriott Rewards points, as I feel that it is the best bang for the buck.
I do understand that it doesn’t fit for those that are unable to stay for 7 nights at the same property or feel that there is very little value in airline miles (really depends which airline program where you credit them to).