This week the Compensation Clinic case comes from my second stay at the Hotel Arts Barcelona that is part of Marriott’s Ritz-Carlton chain.
Here’s what happened:
- Security walks in the room at noon without knocking when the Do Not Disturb-sign was on. They came to open the in-room safe but got the room number wrong.
- Internet goes off at 1PM and unable to log back in. Was tethering on the cell network for an hour.
- There were some sewerage smell in the bathroom.
- Received an email at 7AM on the day of checking out thanking for my stay (and begging for TripAdvisor feedback and completing after stay survey).
- Management team member promised to get back to me regarding compensation by email. Six weeks later when no email was received opened a case with Marriott.
Met one of the managers at the time of checking out that was willing to waive the charges for the night. I never accept this as it would not result points for the original amount, stay credit and wouldn’t count towards any possible promotions.
I indicated that I would prefer points instead and she promised to get back to me by email.
Waited six weeks for that email and then contacted Marriott Rewards Customer Service. As the hotel was willing to waive the charge for the night, I requested enough points for a free night at same category Ritz-Carlton property.
An apology email came two days later and the points posted to my account in two batches. One for 10,000 points and another one for 50,000.
There has been some chatter that the management at this hotel has gone cheap on employees and mainly staffs the front desk with interns from hotel schools.
I was previously at this hotel two years ago during Barcelona Formula 1 weekend. I had no idea that the Formula circus was going to be in town at the same time and most of the hotels had zero availability. The Arts at the time provided fantastic suite upgrade and lounge access. This time nothing beyond 2PM check in.
Some of these hotel employees must believe that the guest will just forget whatever promised they may have made and thus it is not worth getting back (and having to pay for the compensation points issued).