Unlike with SPG, IHG or Club Carlson that have all allowed booking their version of this online, Hyatt has required you to call Gold Passport customer service to find out the availability and to book them. This has now changed, however.
You can access Hyatt Gold Passport Points + Cash here.
Here’s rate display for Grand Hyatt Bangkok:
When you choose the award option, you are also shown the Points + Cash and Club Upgrade With Points availability.
The rate rules for this award type:
And when I made the reservation the points were immediately deducted from the account. When I canceled the reservation, they just deleted the deduction from the account.
Here’s refresher for the Points + Cash award type:
You can substitute half of the number of points by paying a cash component:
The price of a point varies from 1.2 cents at category 6 properties to 2 cents at category 7 properties:
Here’s what I like about Points + Cash Awards:
1. Eligible for stay and night credits
2. You pay the cash amount at the time of checking out
3. The rate type is eligible for points promotions as it is considered a paid rate
4. You can use Diamond or Chase suite upgrade certificates to upgrade this rate (depends on suite upgrade availability)
Things to note:
1. Hotels don’t have to offer Points + Cash awards or they can limit the availability
2. Not available at Hyatt Ziva, Hyatt Zilara or Hyatt Residence Club Resorts
I am glad that Hyatt Gold Passport finally made these available for booking online. Having to call customer service/reservation to find out the availability and then to make the booking have been time waste for both parties, as this should have been available for online booking since it was launched.
I like the fact that Hyatt Gold Passport considers Cash + Points awards as qualifying for all promotions. They should make award nights qualifying for stay/night credits like all the other programs do.
Remember that it is up to hotels whether they offer Points + Cash. If the bookings are strong, they probably won’t.