I have been highly critical of the Orbitz Best Price Guarantee due to the practically impossible hoops that you had to jump. This have now changed, however, as Orbitz has been integrated to Expedia’s platform.
You can access Orbitz Best Price Guarantee here.
Orbitz has now adopted the exact same Terms and conditions for its (Expedia’s really) Best Price Guarantee that are far more relaxed, but the maximum payout has been lowered to just 50 Orbuck ($50 hotel discount) per successful claim (max 3 per month).
The only drawback of the new process based on my extensive experience with Expedia is that they only match US based websites.
This new Best Price Guarantee is fair and works as intended, although the $200 payouts for those that were able (are there any?) to use the previous one are now gone.
Here are the terms and conditions of the new Best Price Guarantee:
- Best Price Guarantee. In the unlikely event that you find a lower rate on a standalone flight, car or cruise on Orbitz.com or on another U.S.-based website within 24 hours of booking with Orbitz.com, we will credit or refund to you the difference in price. For Flight + Hotel booked together, you can claim up to 48 hours after booking. In addition, if you are a member of the Orbitz Rewards program we will give you $50 in Orbucks. To join Orbitz Rewards, click here. This Best Price Guarantee is subject to the terms and conditions listed below.
- Best Price Guarantee for Hotels. For standalone Hotels, we go even further! If you find a lower rate on Orbitz.com or on another U.S.-based website up to 11:59 pm Pacific time 2 days before your scheduled check-in date of your booking with Orbitz.com, we will credit or refund to you the difference in price. In addition, if you are a member of the Orbitz Rewards program we will give you $50 in Orbucks. This Best Price Guarantee for Hotels is subject to the terms and conditions listed below.”
- Travel must be completed in accordance with the booked itinerary to be eligible to receive Orbucks, refund or credit.
Changed or cancelled bookings are not eligible to receive Orbucks. Orbucks will be added to your account within 3 to 4 weeks after your qualifying travel itinerary has been completed.
- Stand Alone Spirit Airlines Flights are not eligible for Best Price Guarantee. Spirit Airlines flights within a package could be eligible under standard BPG rules.
- To collect the Orbucks, you must have a valid Orbitz Rewards account. If you chose not to enroll then you will qualify only for a refund of the difference in price.
- Notifying Orbitz of a Claim. For Stand Alone Flights, Cruises or Car reservations, you must file a Best Price Guarantee application form within twenty-four (24) hours after your Orbitz.com booking; for flight+hotel at least 48 hours after booking, and for hotels, at least 2 days before your check-in date to make a claim under the Best Price Guarantee. The lower rate must be available for booking at the time you contact us, as determined by our customer service representatives.
- Must be “Apples to Apples” Comparison. The Best Price Guarantee is available only for exact itinerary matches. For example, the specific airline and cabin class (First, Business, Premium Economy or Coach/Economy), hotel (including room type), ship and cabin category, rental car company and vehicle class, applicable refund policy, and the exact same dates and times of travel or service as booked through Orbitz.com.
For any stand-alone product booking (for example, a hotel room or an airline ticket), the comparison must be to the same product purchased stand-alone through another website (i.e., not part of a hotel + air travel package).
The Best Price Guarantee is not available for bookings on websites where the carrier, property, rental car company, itinerary or similar booking details are unknown until after purchase. You must meet all requirements imposed on the lower price (if any), including, without limitation, residency, regional and age-related requirements.
- Comparison Rates Must Be Available to the General Public Online. The Best Price Guarantee applies only to prices both advertised and available to the general public on an English-language website.
For example, this does not include rates offered on:
- Membership program websites, corporate discounts or rates
- Group, charter, rewards program, incentive, meeting, convention, consolidator or interline prices
- Prices obtained via auction or similar process
- Prices available only by using a coupon or other promotion not offered to the general public.
The lower rate may not come from a website where you call to get the rate, or from an e-mail that you received. In addition, the rate must be quoted, booked, and paid for in US dollars.
- Important Note Regarding Activities and Travel Packages. When you book an activity, or a travel package (i.e., air + hotel, air + hotel + car, air + car, or hotel + car booked together as a package on the same itinerary) with Orbitz.com, the Best Price Guarantee applies to the cost of the activity or the travel package, respectively, plus all taxes and fees.
- Important Note Regarding Cruises. The Best Price Guarantee applies only to the cost of the cruise. Taxes and fees, and any additional items, such as air or land components, insurance, the Cruise Protection Plan, shipboard credits, transfers, pre- or post- cruise hotel stays, onboard amenities, gift cards/certificates, cash back and/or dollars off are not eligible.
To qualify for the Best Price Guarantee on a cruise booking, you must have either paid in full or paid a non-refundable deposit on the booking. If you have made a non-refundable deposit, then any credit under the Best Price Guarantee will be applied toward the outstanding balance due for your booked cruise.
- Verification of Claims. All requests, including receipts, are subject to verification by Orbitz. Orbitz will not accept screenshots or other purported evidence of a lower price that cannot be independently confirmed by Orbitz personnel. Nor will Orbitz verify any request that it believes, in its sole discretion, is the result of a printing or other error or is made fraudulently or in bad faith.
For verification of stand-alone car rental and non-prepaid hotel bookings, the customer service representative will instruct you to e-mail an electronic copy of your car or hotel receipt to Orbitz within thirty (30) days after you have completed the rental or hotel stay.
Verified requests will receive a credit to the credit card used for the booking, within approximately 7-10 days of verification.
- One (1) set of $50 in Orbucks per entire booking
- Three (3) sets of $50 in Orbucks as the result of a Best Price Guarantee claim per customer per calendar month (regardless of the number of accounts used by the customer or the number of bookings made by the customer).
Orbucks are valid for 365 days as long as there is qualifying purchase or redemption activity through Orbitz.com on your account. Orbitz reserves the right to render any Orbucks void that Orbitz issues in excess of these limits, or issued in error, or where the customer is found to be ineligible to receive the Orbucks or has been deemed by Orbitz to be abusing the Orbitz Best Price Guarantee program for personal or financial gains.
Click here for complete Orbitz Rewards terms and conditions.
- Changes. Orbitz reserves the right in its sole discretion to modify or discontinue the Best Price Guarantee or to restrict its availability to any person, at any time, for any or no reason, and without prior notice or liability to you. The terms that are in effect at the time of your booking will determine your eligibility under the Best Price Guarantee.
No change in the Best Price Guarantee program will affect any Orbucks that have already been issued to you. The failure by Orbitz to enforce any provision of these Terms & Conditions shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.