Air Berlin has brought back its popular Status Match program, matching existing staus customers of other airlines to their Top Bonus Silver (oneWorld Ruby) or Gold (oneWorld Sapphire) Card.
This time the match is open to 7 other countries in addition to Germany including the U.S. which has previously been excluded after Air Berlin tuned back the program, adding residence requirements.
This time however Air Berlin added another twist for customers based in the U.S. and requires an existing booking for an AB long haul return flight for the current calendar year 2016.
You can access the status match offer on the Air Berlin website here.
The website makes it seem quite easy but this offer comes with the caveat that matches from other oneWorld Airlines are not possible. Neither is the outright match for U.S. based customers as I outlined above.
To get everything on track you have to follow these steps first:
- Email Air Berlin at email@example.com and provide the following information:
- Your topbonus number
- A legible scan/photo/copy of your other valid frequent flyer card
- Your application will be reviewed and processed by the Service-Team.
Customers residing in the following countries (respectively having their account address there) are eligible under this new promotion:
Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and USA
All the European residents will receive an immediate status of a corresponding tier for 12 months during which they are able to re-qualify for the status collecting the usual required number of miles. There will be no match to Air Berlin Platinum Status (oneWorld Emerald).
Air Berlin Topbonus Gold comes with Sapphire Status which gives you decent oneWorld Elite benefits including Lounge Access to Business Class Lounges.
We covered the announcement that Air Berlin will fight their disastrous financial situation by getting rid of 1,300 staff and 40 planes which will be transferred to Lufthansa (access our article here).
This situation might have contributed to a revamp of the status match program as they really need to get some more customers and offer them incentives to put up with the horrible shape and organization of the airline including their announced cutbacks in on-board catering (see here).
It should be mentioned that Air Berlin can withdraw this offer at any time so better act fast!
This is a good offer for all eligible customers who want to obtain an easy oneWorld Sapphire status and who have a current elite membership with a competing non-oneWorld program.
For customers not residing in the listed countries or U.S. residents who don’t want to book a flight for this promotion alone, it might be possible to change your address to friends/family or business associates overseas. As far as the existing reservation goes you could always book a flexible ticket and cancel it after the status match is approved. Maybe even a mileage ticket since the T&C don’t explicitly mention that it has to be a revenue ticket.
These are the Terms and Conditions for the Promotion at the time of this article:
Status Match promotion terms and condition for frequent flyer programmes from other airlines:
- You must register for topbonus before requesting Status Match.
- Status Match applications must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please attach the following information:
- A scan of your current valid frequent flyer card for which you are requesting a Status Match
- Your topbonus number
- As a status card holder with an alternative frequent flyer programme you will be awarded the corresponding status with topbonus for a probationary period of 12 months (Platinum Card excluded)
- Within this probationary period, once you achieve the required number of status miles or flights pro rata, you will be awarded the status for a further year:
- Collect 25,000 status miles or 24 flights within 12 months and you will be awarded a Silver Card
- Collect 50,000 status miles or 24 flights within 12 months and you will be awarded a Gold Card
- A Status Match is available for Silver and Gold status and may only be applied once and once only for the same status
- This Status Match offer is valid only for select frequent flyer programme of other airlines
- This offer is only available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway and USA.
- Customers with residence in the US must prove a booking confirmation incl. booking number of an airberlin long haul flight between US and Europe (return ticket). This flight must be operated by airberlin and take place in 2016.
- A Status Match with another oneworld® airline is not possible.
- The right to make alterations is reserved to topbonus Ltd., and may be carried out and/or be withdrawn at any time without giving prior notice. topbonus Ltd. reserves the right to reject customer requests for this campaign without any reason or in case of a suspicion of fraud.
- In addition to the Terms and Conditions of this promotion, the topbonus Terms and Conditions (available to view at www.airberlin.com/topbonus) and the airberlin general Terms and Conditions of carriage (available to view at www.airberlin.com) also apply to all flight bookings in the order listed.