Starwood Preferred Guest members that hit 50 nights during their membership year have been able to choose their preferred gift from number of options for the past couple of years.
The selection of gifts have changed from year to year and also depends where your account is registered (you can always change it online). I just hit 50 SPG nights for the year and can choose my preferred award.
You can access SPG 50 award selection here.
READ MORE: SPG Rate & Bonus Points And Miles Promotions
Here are the current options for SPG account outside of the United States:
– The free night category 1 – 5 award is valid until the end of 2017. Category 1- 5 property requires 12,000 to 16,000 Starpoints.
– Five elite qualifying nights. This only makes sense if you are very close to 75 or 100 nights. Otherwise the award is useless.
– Ten suite night awards. You can use these to upgrade to a suite up to five nights before of your intended stay. You might have been upgraded nevertheless.
– 40% off hotel bed. Zero interest for me.
– Gift Gold. This has actually become quite beneficial because it maps to Marriott Rewards Gold due to Marriott buying the hotel company. Marriott Rewards Gold benefits are far better than SPG Gold one such as lounge access and/or breakfast.
– SPG Unicef donation. SPG will donate $100 to Unicef if you choose this option.
I don’t value the Suite Night Awards at all. When they first launched them, I eventually had close to 20 expiring useless. Hotels that treat Platinum members well will upgrade members regardless.
The SPG Gold would be an useful option or the UNICEF donation (last year I choose the $100 Amazon gift card.
This year, however, I chose the category 1 – 5 free night award.