Cathay Pacific has extended their redemption option of redeeming miles for lounge access to all their worldwide locations, allowing non status Economy Class passengers to enjoy the facilities.
Previously this was only an option for the Hong Kong lounges but now it has been rolled out to the entire network of Cathay Lounges including an instant redemption option at the lounge desk.
Offering lounge access for various forms of payment (either money or miles) isn’t a new phenomenon but on occasion it can be useful when you have plenty of unused miles, a long layover and no status or premium class ticket to make your way into the lounge.
Marco Polo Club announced this new feature in their last member email yesterday (there is no direct link because it prompts you to log into your Marco Polo account first before you’re able to read anything).
Take the opportunity to relax, refresh and recharge before your flight. You can now instantly redeem lounge access for yourself and your travel companions for all Cathay Pacific lounges worldwide.
Instant lounge redemption at all Cathay Pacific lounges worldwide
One of the pleasures of flying with us is our lounges, where you can relax, refresh and recharge before your flight. No matter which class you fly, as a Marco Polo Club member, you can redeem lounge access for yourselves, friends and family members even if you’re not flying Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon, or a oneworld airline.
How to redeem lounge access
Instant lounge redemption: Present your Marco Polo Club membership card at the lounge desk and sign the consent form to process your instant redemption.
Advanced online requests: You may also submit a request online at least 3 weeks prior to your flight, and we will send you a lounge redemption letter. Please ensure you have the original redemption letter to present at the lounge desk.
That sounds a like an easy and straight forward process as long as it works as designed. How much will it cost you to redeem for a lounge entry? Have a look:
This redemption is also available if you’re an Elite Member traveling with companions and the amount of people you like to guest into the lounge exceeds the limit extended to you through your membership.
That’s how the pricing for the First Class Lounge comes together which at 12k Miles isn’t unreasonable at all. As far as I was informed though Vancouver won’t have a First Class section inside their brand new lounge that has just been opened this year. Not sure how that got into the list.
It’s a great option to be able to redeem some spare frequent flier miles for a lounge access especially if the lounge is a nice one in the newly designed fashion. Examples of that would include of course Hong Kong, Bangkok and Vancouver all of which are absolutely fantastic for Business Class lounges and very comfortable to spend a hours in.
From the description of the Program it appears that only Marco Polo Members can use this redemption option; a regular Asia Miles membership is not sufficient. Marco Polo is a paid membership and the enrollment fee is USD $100 to become a Green member in the Marco Polo Club. To maintain Green membership, members must earn 100 club points within their membership year or pay an annual renewal fee of another $100.
These are the T&C for the lounge redemption:
Terms and conditions
- Instant redemption is only valid on the day of travel for members and their travel companions.
- All Marco Polo Club members can instantly redeem access to the worldwide Cathay Pacific Business Class lounges.
- Only Diamond members can redeem First Class Lounge access for friends and family members.
- Members may use Asia Miles to redeem lounge access for their companions, friends or family members; this is not limited to the Redemption Group.
- Members must have enough Asia Miles in their account at the time of the request to cover the total value of the claimed redemption(s).
- 9,000 or 12,000 Asia Miles per person will be deducted from the member’s Asia Miles account upon confirmation of their instant redemption.
- Lounge reception staff will ask members to sign the consent form on the lounge invitation card as an agreement for mileage deduction.
- Members may use Asia Miles to redeem Cathay Pacific lounge access even if they are not travelling on Cathay Pacific, Cathay Dragon or oneworld airlines.
- Children under 2 years of age will be admitted without redemption.
- Children 2 years of age and older will be charged at the adult rate and require a separate redemption.
- Access is only permitted once per person.
- The redemption holder has the same privileges and benefits as other patrons of the lounge.
- Lounge redemption cannot be exchanged for other awards or cash. Asia Miles once deducted from member’s account cannot be returned.
- In case of disputes, the decision of Marco Polo Club and Asia Miles Limited shall be final.