United Airlines has launched a 30% off discount promotion for transferring MileagePlus miles between accounts until December 19, 2016.
This means that United charges you for moving MileagePlus miles from one account to another. There are no new miles minted during the process (like when US Airways used to run these promotions with up to 100% bonus which made sense).
You can access this offer on United’s website here.
So, you are paying more than a cent per mile transferred and moving smaller amounts is even worse considering the $30 fee per transaction.
You can issue awards from any MileagePlus account to any traveler. It doesn’t need to be just the account owner.
I would rather try to find a way to top up the account to get a meaningful award rather than paying United more than a cent per mile for consolidating them.
Here are the terms and conditions if this offer:
- The processing fee per transaction is $30 / £25 / € 28 / ¥ 3260
- Displayed prices include all discounts
- GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents
- Limit of 100,000 miles per transaction
- Miles can be transferred in 500 mile increments between 500 and 5,000 miles, and in 1,000 mile increments from 5,000 to 100,000 miles
- Give up to 100,000 miles to each recipient’s account per calendar year – No recipient may receive more than 100,000 miles from any other MileagePlus account or combination of account in any calendar year
- Maximum transfer of up to 100,000 miles per calendar year out of one account
- Allow up to 48 hours for the miles to post to each recipient’s account
- Your credit card will be billed immediately for purchase
- Mileage rates and other applicable fees are subject to change
- Minimum transfer 500 miles per account
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.