Marriott Rewards today month ago their award category changes for this year that will take place on March 7, 2017. You have until the end of tomorrow to book the hotel at their current point levels.
There are close to 1,000 properties changing in award categories of which 60% are moving up and 40% down.
You can access Marriott’s page for these changes here.
Here are some observations:
– Courtyard Nusa Dua in Bali moves to category 6. This hotel does not have beach access and is usually rather cheap.
– Doha City Center Marriott Marquis moves to category 4 from 3. Stayed at this hotel once last year and realized then that it was the former Renaissance. Published rates are usually rather high, although issues with the occupancy rates.
– Rayong Marriott Resort in Thailand moves to category 5. Stayed here couple of years back. Decent hotel right when it opened. Should go back to check out how it has developed.
– Renaissance Ho Chi Ming City moves to category 5. Older hotel and no work done on the guest rooms probably since its opening. Lobby was renovated last year. There are now more hotel options in the city.
– Renaissance Sao Paulo drops to category 5. This is a good hotel in Sao Paulo and the paid rates have crashed as has the Brazilian currency.
– Renaissance & Marriott hotels in Santiago de Chile both drop to category 5. These both are good and stayed at them last year. Not huge fan of the area where they are, however.
You should check the properties moving up and down on the page that Marriott provided us. Cannot list them here due to the number of properties.