Today’s Airfare of the Day goes to Malaysia Airlines Advance Purchase Business Class fare between Ho Chi Minh City and various destinations in Asia Pacific region. I learned about this fare from a post on FlyerTalk (access here), and decided to do some digging.
- Fare: Malaysia Airlines (MH) ZBT3MVG.
- Route: SGN-KUL-Various destinations.
- Booking class: Z (Business Class).
- Price: USD 396 – 946.
- Valid for: Round trip travel.
- Flight restrictions: All segments must be on MH metal.
- Minimum stay: Travel from last stopover must commence no earlier than 3 days after departure from origin.
- Maximum stay: Travel from last stopover must commence no earlier than 3 months after departure from origin.
- Sales restrictions: Reservations for all sectors are required at least 3 days before departure. Tickets may not be sold in United Kingdom/Ireland. Tickets must be issued on MH stock. Tickets must be issued before 31 MAR 2017.
- Travel restrictions: Valid for travel commencing before 31 AUG 2017.
- Surcharges: A surcharge of USD 15 per direction will be added to tickets sold outside of Vietnam/Europe.
- Stopovers: Four stopovers permitted for a USD 50 fee (each).
- Transfers: Unlimited transfers permitted.
- Changes: Any time. USD 50 fee for reissue/revalidation. USD 100 fee for no show.
- Cancellation/Refunds: Any time. Ticket is non-refundable. For ticket reissuance, no show charge plus fare difference will apply.
- Available on: Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz.
The original post on FlyerTalk mentioned this fare as available for SGN-KUL-KIX. I was able to find some availability for April/May departures, and wide-open availability for June/July August departures using Matrix Airfare Search.
Notice that the ticket price using USA based OTAs is USD 30 more expensive than the price found using Matrix, due to the USD 15 per direction surcharge for tickets sold outside of Vietnam/Europe per ticket rules. Booking the ticket using a Europe-based OTA brings the ticket down to 648 € (USD 699).
Fare construction example for those interested in using a travel agent to book it:
The following mileage accruals were estimated for SGN-KUL-KIX without considering any elite status bonuses:
Other possible destinations
This fare not only works for Osaka. Other destinations in Asia Pacific Region are also possible using the same fare code. I was able to find fare availability for the following destinations for July/August departures. I did not check for earlier departure dates.
Malaysia Airlines frequently have this special business class fares within Asia Pacific region. The fares I found are more than decent for business class in those routes, especially if you can book segments on their A330s with lie-flat business class seats.