Today’s Airfare of the Day goes to Finnair Business Saver fares between Dublin and Ho Chi Minh City.
I first learned of this fare on FlyerTalk. You can access the original thread here.
- Fare basis: Finnair (AY) ISA2IE21 DUB to SGN
- Booking class: I (Business Class)
- Price: EUR 1496 (Fare: EUR 1040.00 + taxes)
- Valid for: Round trip travel
- Flight application: Travel between Europe and Asia must be on AY metal.
- Advance reservation/Ticketing: Confirmed reservation for all sectors required at least 28 days before departure. Ticketing must be completed within 5 days after reservation or at least 28 days before departure, whichever is earlier.
- Minimum stay: Travel from last stopover must commence no earlier than 5 days after departure from fare origin.
- Maximum stay: No maximum stay requirements apply.
- Stopover restrictions: Originating in Europe – 2 stopovers permitted in HEL, 1 for free and 1 at EUR 50.00
- Transfer restrictions: Unlimited transfers permitted.
- Sales restrictions: Tickets must be sold on AY stock. Tickets may not be sold in Angola/Venezuela/Nigeria/Egypt.
- Cancellations: Before departure, charge 25 % for cancel/refund. After departure, ticket is non-refundable.
- Changes: Any time. Charge EUR 200.00 for reissue/revalidation. No-show not permitted.
- HIP exceptions: The Higher Intermediate Point rule does not apply for stopovers or connections.
I was able to find availability for this fare using Finnair’s website, for travel starting late November 2017 until March 2018, always for round trip travel with a duration of 8 days or longer. Also bookable using Orbitz/Expedia/Travelocity:
Availability on Finnair.com
Booking example using Expedia:
Mileage/Tier Points Accrual:
The most interesting feature of this fare is the allowed routings. For maximizing the miles/points earnings, let’s try DUB-LON-HEL-HKG-SGN which is bookable per fare rules. The following mileage accruals were estimated for DUB-HEL-without considering elite status bonuses:
If you are looking for a cheap way into British Airways Executive Club Silver (OneWorld Sapphire), using DUB-LON-HEL-HKG-SGN as your routing will give you enough tier points to qualify for this status and 2 BA segments, missing only 2 more BA segments to qualify:
It is my understanding that Finnair does a good job on the Business Class cabin of their new Airbus A350s. Moreover, winter is always a good time to visit South East Asia. Add an easy and cheap status qualifying to the mix. Sold!