IHG Rewards Club made the preview of PointBreaks hotels available on Friday (read more here) that are valid for stays April 24 – July 31, 2017, and available for bookings on Monday.
PointBreaks hotels are available for just 5,000 IHG Rewards Club points per night regardless what the usual point requirements are.
You can access IHG’s web page for PointBreaks hotels here (the list on IHG’s website is updated sometime on Monday after the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings).
Note that usually the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings before noon ET time on the day they are released.
We will monitor the situation and will have a post up and email going out to out blog email subscribers immediately after they have have gone live sometime on Monday.
Here are some things that you should consider when booking PointBreaks hotels:
- You are only allowed to make two reservations using PointBreaks rate per each hotel according to the terms and conditions. Each of the reservations can be for as many days as you want or the award availability exists.
- The booking window for the new PointBreaks is will open sometime on Monday morning ET.
- You should be firm on the dates, as you can no longer modify the reservation(s) once the hotel has dropped off from the PointBreaks list or the award inventory is gone. You can usually shorten your stay and get the points back for the nights you didn’t use, however.
- Once the PointBreaks allocation has been used, the hotel will become available for awards at their usual point requirement level.
- The hotel cannot see what kind of award you have used. They get the same reimbursement for PointBreaks as they get for regular award nights.
- PointBreaks book into the regular award inventory. If there are no awards available now, there won’t be PointBreaks either unless someone cancels their reservation.
- The more popular PointBreaks hotels tend to get their award inventory exhausted within couple of hours after going live. You should carefully plan in advance what you would like to book
PointBreaks are the best way to use IHG Rewards Club points if you are able to include any of the destinations for your travel plans for the next three months.
Just remember that the most popular hotels will drop off from the list fast.