Turkish Airlines has made changes to checked luggage allowance for flights taken July 1, 2017, on tickets issued on or after May 1, 2017.
The airlines is moving from weight allowance to piece concept and eliminates number of extra allowances that have been route specific.
You can access Turkish Airlines web page for the new allowance here.
- The information on this page will apply to tickets purchased on or after May 01, 2017, and to journeys which include an international destination on their route starting on or after July 01, 2017.
- Baggage allowance will vary depending on flight route and flight class. The sum of the length, width and height of a piece of standard baggage may not exceed 158 cm.
- In Economy Class a piece of baggage may be no heavier than 23 kg*, and in Business Class a piece of baggage may be no heavier than 32 kg**.
- * On journeys starting in Brazil or Argentina and arriving in Turkey or destinations outside of Turkey, each piece may be no heavier than 32 kg in both Economy Class and Business Class.
- ** For infant passengers under the age of 2 traveling on all international flights in either Economy Class or Business Class, the baggage allowance is 1 piece no heavier than 23 kg. In addition to this, 1 fully collapsible stroller or pushchair will also be accepted. The size limit for this is 115 cm.
- A standard piece of baggage may weigh no more than 32 kg. Baggage weighing more than 32 kg cannot be accepted as a single piece. This baggage must be split over additional pieces or carried as cargo.
Miles&Smiles Elite, Elite Plus or Star Alliance Gold Card members receive extra baggage allowances in addition to standard baggage allowances.
*Free baggage allowance for Miles&Smiles members in addition to the allowance printed on the ticket.
**There is no charge for one piece up to 32 kg from the baggage allowance according to the fare rules of the ticket.
**There is no charge for two pieces up to 32 kg from the baggage allowance according to the fare rules of the ticket.
Here are the previous allowances:
** For travelling originating from SAO to SIN, KUL, CGK, BKK, MLE free baggage allowance is applied as 2 pcs and each piece 32 kg. As of 26 September 2013, instead of 2 pcs X 32 kg, passengers can also bring 1 pcs X 32 kg and 1 surfboard bag which includes 3 surfboard with max 3 metres and not heavier than 32 kg for total weight. If passengers bring more than 3 surfboard, sports equipments and bicycle charges will apply for each extra piece.
Baggage information for America, South America, Canada, Argentina, Colombia, Panama, Cuba, Venezuela, Nigeria, Ghana, Senegal, Mauritania, Cote D Ivoire, Cameroon, Burkina Faso, Niger, Gabon, Chad, Congo Dem. Rep., Benin Peoples Republic, Mali, Guinea, Sudan, Angola, Mauritius, Madagascar, Seychelles Flights where baggage is processed by piece:
Free baggage allowance varies according to reservation class and departure runway.
In Turkish Airlines direct flights to airports in North America (New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, Houston, Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Miami, Montreal, Toronto) the free baggage allowance is 2 pieces.
** Free baggage allowance in all from Niamey (NIM) outbound flights to Dubai (DXB), is applied as 2X32 Kg
** As of July 1, 2016, passengers beginning their journey in Toronto who are then continuing on to Iran will have a free baggage allowance of three pieces of up to 23 kg each in Economy Class; and three pieces of up to 32 kg each in Business Class on their return journey. Effective for tickets issued on or after Jun 1,2016.
For flights that start from Argentina or Brazil that go to, or connect through Turkey, the checked luggage allowance permits 2 pieces with a maximum weight for each piece of up to 23kg in Economy Class and 32kg in Business Class. The same rule applies for flights that start in Turkey or any other destination to Argentina or Brazil.
I had no idea that Turkish Airlines had had so many exception to the previous allowance for many countries listed above. This truly affects those that can have their checked luggage allowance cut in half.
For Star Alliance Gold members this change is mostly positive. Members can check in an additional piece instead of an additional weight allowance.