Marriott Rewards and United Airlines MileagePlus launched RewardsPlus partnership for reciprocal elite benefits back in 2013 (read more here).
Marriott Rewards Platinum members get United Silver and United Airlines MileagePlus Premier Gold and higher members are eligible for Marriott Rewards Gold status.
You can access RewardsPlus Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier Gold benefit page here.
Now, RewardsPlus has launched an additional benefit for Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier members that are eligible for Premier Gold status with United Airlines through January 2018.
Platinum Premier is “unpublished” status level above Platinum and the exact qualification criteria and benefits (if any) are unclear.
Here are the select Premier Gold benefits:
- Complimentary Premier upgrade – confirmed as early as 48 hours before departure
- Economy Plus® seating – more legroom for you and a companion
- Star Alliance™ Gold Status – with airport lounge access internationally
- 2 free checked bags – standard size, up to 70 pounds (32 kg) each
- 8 award miles – per $1 spent on your fare with United®
One would assume that most of the Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier members already have an affiliation and elite status with one of the airlines and alliance out there.
Premier Gold is nice to have (I have lifetime due to more than 1 million miles with United) as it is Star Alliance Gold at the same time for enhanced airport experience if flying in economy such as lounge access, fast track, extra luggage allowance and business class check in.
Premier Gold members may sometimes get an upgrade when flying Premier Upgrade eligible routes within North America and the Caribbean.