United Airlines has launched a new offer for buying MileagePlus miles at up to 50% bonus (could be account specific) for purchase made until May 22, 2017.
United Airlines has promotions pretty much every month for buying miles, but they all max out at a 100% bonus or a 50% discount (exactly the same offer because United limits the number of miles one can purchase per year including any possible bonuses to 150K).
You can access this offer and check your bonus percentage on United’s website here.
Price at the my 50% bonus:
The price of a mile at the 50% bonus when buying the maximum amount is 2.51 cents each.
Does it make sense to purchase United miles?
If you use them for international business or first class tickets between expensive city pairs, then the answer is likely yes.
Sebastian recently wrote about his United award ticket success to Australia from Asia that was only 40,000 miles in combined business/first (read more here).
There could be some members with up to 100% bonus (you never know) as they often have targeted offers nowadays.
United sells MileagePlus miles at 50% off or 100% bonus few times a year. Unless you need miles right now, I would wait until a better offer arrives (unless your bonus is 100%).
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT on May 22, 2017.
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles.
- Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only. The bonus amount applicable to a transaction is shown in the chart. Transactions may not be aggregated to calculate the bonus.
- Bonus Miles will be credited to the recipient’s account when the transaction is complete.
- Bonus miles count towards the 150,000 mile annual limit per account.
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase.
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account.
- Miles are nonrefundable.
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply.
- GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
- Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’.
- Pricing is only available for purchases made through buymiles.mileageplus.com.