United Airlines has launched new MileagePlus buy miles promotion and is offering up to 60% bonus for purchases made through January 22, 2018 (there could be higher targeted offers).
United Airlines has promotions pretty much every month for buying miles, but they all max out at a 100% bonus or a 50% discount (exactly the same offer because United usually limits the number of miles one can purchase per year including any possible bonuses to 150K).
You can access this offer and check your bonus percentage on United’s website here.
My Bonus table:
Price at the 100% bonus:
The price of a mile at the 60 % bonus when buying the maximum amount is 2.35 cents each.
Does it make sense to purchase United miles?
If you use them for international business or first class tickets between expensive city pairs, then the answer is still likely yes.
United Airlines made some changes to the MileagePlus awards effective November 1, 2017. You can read more about these developments here.
The lowest price that United Airlines has sold MileagePlus miles over the past year or so has been 1.88 cents each. If you can wait a bit, you can likely get better deal than this 2.35 cents each.
Here are the terms and conditions of this offer:
1. Promotional offer valid until January 22, 2018.
2. Bonus miles count toward the 150,000-mile annual limit per account.
3. You may purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year.
4. Bonus miles will generally be credited to the recipient’s MileagePlus account when the transaction is complete; provided that certain transactions may take up to 48 hours.
5. Bonuses will be calculated on a per transaction basis only.
6. The bonus amount applicable to a transaction is shown in the chart.
7. Transactions may not be aggregated to calculate the bonus.
8. The credit card used in the transaction will be billed immediately upon purchase.
9. Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change.
10. Miles purchased are nonrefundable.
11. Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status.
12. All MileagePlus Program rules and terms and conditions apply.
13. GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents.
14. Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’.
15. Pricing is only available for purchases made through buymiles.mileageplus.com