IHG Rewards Club just shared with us a partial list of PointBreaks hotels that will be available for bookings on Monday for stays between January 29 – April 30, 2018 (they shared the sneak peek with us yesterday). While this is not the complete list, there are more than 200 PointsBreaks hotels that will be available on Monday.
IHG announced yesterday that they will move away from the flat 5,000 points per night pricing and introduce hotels at 5,000, 10,000 and 15,000 points per night and members can also then book using Points + Cash.
You can access IHG page for PointBreaks here.
Note that the IHG’s PointBreaks page won’t be updated with the new list before noon on Monday.
5,000 Points Hotels Preview
- PEOPLE’S REPUBLIC OF CHINA: Crowne Plaza Tianjin Jinnan
- INDIA: Holiday Inn Express Chennai Mahindra World City
- BRAZIL: Holiday Inn Belo Horizonte Savassi
- MEXICO: Hotel Indigo Veracruz Boca Del Rio
- PANAMA: Holiday Inn Panama Canal
- UNITED STATES: (Illinois): Holiday Inn Express Rolling Mdws-Schaumburg Area
- UNITED STATES (New York): Holiday Inn Rochester NY – Downtown
- UNITED STATES (Texas): Candlewood Suites Kenedy
- ITALY: Holiday Inn Nola – Naples Vulcano Buono
- TURKEY: Crowne Plaza Antalya
10,000 Points Hotels Preview
- INDONESIA: Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali
- LAOS: Crowne Plaza Vientiane
- COLOMBIA: InterContinental Cali
- MEXICO: Staybridge Suites Silao
- UNITED STATES (Oklahoma): Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Oklahoma City North
- UNITED STATES (Utah): Holiday Inn Express & Suites Vernal – Dinosaurland
- UNITED STATES: (Virginia): Staybridge Suites Chantilly Dulles Airport
- UNITED STATES (Washington): Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Bellingham
- ITALY: Holiday Inn Rome – Aurelia
- SERBIA: Crowne Plaza Belgrade
15,000 Points Hotels Preview
- JAPAN: ANA Crowne Plaza Hiroshima
- TAIWAN: Hotel Indigo Kaohsiung Central Park
- UNITED ARAB EMIRATES: Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi
- BRAZIL: InterContinental Sao Paulo
- CANADA (Calgary): Holiday Inn Express & Suites Calgary
- UNITED STATES (New Jersey): Hotel Indigo Newark Downtown
- UNITED STATES: (North Dakota): Staybridge Suites Fargo
- UNITED STATES: (Texas): Crowne Plaza Suites Arlington – Ballpark – Stadium
- FINLAND: Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre
- UKRAINE: InterContinental Kiev
Here are seven of these PointBreaks hotels that I have stayed at and have taken videos:
InterContinental Sao Paulo
This is my to go hotel in Sao Paulo in addition to the nearby Renaissance and I will be back next week. I like the area and Royal Ambassador benefits that I have always received with early/late check ins/outs, suite upgrades and lounge access.
Was a solid hotel yet really needed some renovations when I stayed there couple of years ago.
Holiday Inn Glenmarie
This hotel is really far away from the Kuala Lumpur city center and stayed there few times four/five years ago. The rates in the city center are low and I would rather stay somewhere more centrally located.
Holiday Inn Helsinki City Centre
This Holiday Inn is basically next to the main railway station in Helsinki and is very conveniently located. They try to upgrade loyalty program members. It is very convenient to/from the airport as well and I have stayed there many times.
Holiday Inn Resort Baruna Bali
I have stayed at this Holiday Inn several times over the years. It is conveniently located just north of the airport.
ANA Crowne Plaza Hiroshima
I stayed here just last year and had a club upgrade as Spire Royal Ambassador. The location is good in the city center.
Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi
There are two Crowne Plaza hotels in Abu Dhabi and this one is right in the city center. It is more traditional property unless it has gone through renovations since my last visit.
It is unfortunate that IHG this time has decided not to release the full list before the hotels become available for bookings on Monday. IHG did this once before since starting LoyaltyLobby back in 2011.
It is going to be madrush on Monday when the hotels become bookable at the PointBreaks rates while the new list is not up yet. The one time, we were able to compile the list of hotels that were at the 5,000 points level. This time it would be more difficult due to hotels costing 10,000 and 15,000 points can be regular awards too and not just PBs.
I really don’t think that IHG had any other choice than to move away from the flat 5,000 points PointBreaks pricing if they wanted to keep this program alive considering how much the price of these hotels in points have changed since the PB program was launched back many years ago.
If this change allows IHG to bring back the good hotels that have been mostly missing for the past few years, I am all for it. I remember those stays at the InterContinental hotels in Jakarta, Ho Chi Minh City (both), Hanoi, and Papeete and Crowne Plaza hotel in Bangkok among others where I stayed for a few weeks using these.
As is always the case, we will monitor the PB availability on Monday and will have post go up immediately once these and the full list goes live.