IHG Rewards Club made on Thursday and Friday sneak peek and preview of PointBreaks hotels available (read more here and here), although not the full list of 200 hotels that are valid for stays January 29 – April 30, 2018, and available for bookings on Monday at noon EST (per IHG).
IHG has changed for the first time the number of points these PointsBreaks hotels require. In addition to the usual 5,000 points per night, there are hotels requiring 10,000 and 15,000 points as well.
You can access IHG’s web page for PointBreaks hotels here (the list on IHG’s website is updated sometime on Monday after the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings).
Note that usually the PointBreaks hotels have become available for bookings before noon EST time on the day they are released. IHG this time announced that the hotels would become available at noon (to be exact).
This is the second time when IHG has made a decision NOT to release the full list of PointBreaks hotels in advance that will make advance planning difficult. Usually, the hotels that are available at reduced rate will be available for bookings hours before the actual PointBreaks page is updated with the actual hotels.
We will monitor the situation and will have a post up and email going out to out blog email subscribers immediately after they have have gone live.
Here are some things that you should consider when booking PointBreaks hotels:
- You are only allowed to make two reservations using PointBreaks rate per each hotel according to the terms and conditions. Each of the reservations can be for as many days as you want or the award availability exists.
- The booking window for the new PointBreaks will open sometime on Monday morning ET.
- You should be firm on the dates, as you can no longer modify the reservation(s) once the hotel has dropped off from the PointBreaks list or the award inventory is gone. You can usually shorten your stay and get the points back for the nights you didn’t use, however.
- Once the PointBreaks allocation has been used, the hotel will become available for awards at their usual point requirement level.
- The hotel cannot see what kind of award you have used. They get the same reimbursement for PointBreaks as they get for regular award nights.
- PointBreaks book into the regular award inventory. If there are no awards available now, there won’t be PointBreaks either unless someone cancels their reservation.
- The more popular PointBreaks hotels tend to get their award inventory exhausted within couple of hours after going live. You should carefully plan in advance what you would like to book
IHG Rewards Club is currently selling points at 75% bonus:
We will closely monitor the situation on Monday and will get the post up as soon as the PointBreaks hotels are available for bookings.
If IHG doesn’t publish or release the list of PointBreaks hotels at the time they go live, we have prepared to compile a list manually like we did last time when IHG decided to do it this way (not releasing the list in advance and not update the PointBreaks page when they were available for bookings).
This is probably first time in couple of years when there is a hotel on the PointBreaks list that I could actually book (InterContinental Sao Paulo) for nine nights.