Emirates Skywards and Hilton Honors have sent emails out to their members that it’s now possible to transfer Hilton HHonors points to Emirates Skywards but the ration leaves everything to be desired.
It’s well known that transferring hotel points to airline miles doesn’t always makes sense (actually it rarely does) but the ratio which Hilton and Emirates have worked out together for this partnership is simply horrible.
You can access the respective Emirates website here for more information.
As an Emirates Skywards member, you can now convert Hilton Honors Points into Skywards Miles, taking you closer to your next reward. Put your Skywards Miles towards your next great escape with family or friends, or spend them on tickets to watch your favourite team in action.
Convert 10,000 Points into 1,000 Skywards Miles. Conversion will be possible in multiples of 10,000 Points.
The ratio for this (fleecing) partnership is 10:1 and that’s just wow, even by Hilton standards.
You can access Hilton Honors transfer partners here to compare.
Why? Because you have to see it in relation to other programs, lets say SPG:
1000 SPG Points = 1000 Marriott Points ; 20,000 points transfer to Emirates results in 25,000 Skywards miles which is the bare minimum you’ll need to book something such as a flight from Bangkok to Hong Kong. 20k SPG is enough for one night at a luxury hotel or 2 nights at a lower tier property such as the Westin Vancouver Airport.
With Hilton, to receive the same 25,000 Skywards points a member would have to transfer out 250,000 Hilton Honors points. That’s pretty much three top tier hotel nights or 6-7 lower tier hotels that typically cost 30-40,000 points per night. It makes zero sense to invest that many Hilton points for 25k airline miles, in fact their entire points transfer program isn’t the least worthwhile.
I consider Hilton Honors points to be quite valuable even though the program is often mocked after their numerous devaluations. There are still plenty of good deals to be had including many properties in the 5,000 and 10,000 points award level (per night).
Some programs such as SPG where you also get a 5,000 miles bonus for each 20k SPG points you move might make sense for mileage transfers but Hilton Honors does not. Especially not at such poor levels and into a program where awards are expensive to begin with.
These are the Terms & Conditions for the new transfer partnership:
- Members must be enrolled in the Hilton Honors programme to earn Hilton Honors Points. Hilton Honours Points can then be converted into Skywards Miles.
- The minimum conversion is 10,000 Points with no maximum limit.
- Members can convert Hilton Honors Points in multiples of 10,000 Points, equivalent to 1,000 Skywards Miles.
- To convert Hilton Honors Points into Skywards Miles, the member must have the same name on both accounts.
- Once Hilton Honors Points are converted into Skywards Miles, they cannot be changed back into Hilton Honors Points.
- Emirates Skywards members will not be able to claim missing Skywards Miles for stays completed on or before 1 April 2018 retrospectively.
- Emirates Skywards programme terms and conditions apply.
- Hilton Honors programme terms and conditions apply.