As previously announced, Lufthansa MIles&More now offers an option to pool mileage balances from different accounts in order to redeem awards utilizing mileage from different members combined.
Mileage Pooling, more commonly known as Family Accounts, has been around for decades at other frequent flyer programs such as British Airways Executive Club, the late BMI Diamond Club and a varity of Asian as well as Middle East based programs.
The pooling option is currently available for members with a registered account address in Germany, Austria and Switzerland plus it requires processing through the Lufthansa Mobile App (not even any infos on the official Lufthansa website yet).
You have to install the Lufthansa App via your App Store or Google Play Store and sign into your account, then (if your account is registered in the aforementioned countries) you will see the ‘Pooling’ option in the drop down menu.
Whether it’s for a short trip or a set of suitcases – the best thing about award miles are the many possibilities for which they can be exchanged. So that you can now enjoy this wonderful experience faster, the Miles & More app now includes the new Mileage Pooling function.
With this option, up to two adults and up to five children can bundle their award miles – and have the most wonderful experiences. Whether you are creating a Mileage pool as a family member or as a friend – one thing is for sure: You will reach your dream mileage goals faster than ever before. The most important facts regarding Mileage Pooling How do I create a Mileage pool? Quite simply and with a few clicks here in the app. (More → Mileage Pooling) Where can I view my new Pool mileage balance? In a few minutes, you will find it in all mileage displays. Who can start a Mileage pool? All members over the age of 18.
- How do I create a Mileage pool? Quite simply and with a few clicks here in the app. (More → Mileage Pooling)
- Where can I view my new Pool mileage balance? In a few minutes, you will find it in all mileage displays.
- Who can start a Mileage pool? All members over the age of 18. How many people are allowed in a Mileage pool? Up to 2 adults and a maximum of 5 children.
- Do children have to be included? No, even 2 adults without children can pool their miles.
- Are there also Mileage pools made up entirely of children? No, adults have to be part of a Mileage pool.
- How are the miles being administered? Only the two adults can redeem their miles from the Mileage pool.
- Is it possible to operate several Mileage pools at the same time? No, each Miles & More member may only participate in one Mileage pool at a time. If you leave a Mileage pool, you are excluded from mileage pooling for 6 months.
The option to pool mileage was announced in March when Lufthansa made public that they would also shift to a more revenue centric program and distribute mileage based on ticket value and status level.
Unfortunately at this given time the option is only available for members in Germany, Austria and Switzerland however you can of course always change your account to a random address in one of these countries as a workaround.
I’m sure in the future this option will expand to other countries as well but for the time being this is how one has to make things work.
I like family accounts because it gives families or a group of people the opportunity to actually utilize their miles for something useful even if they only have a little bit of account activity such as a single round trip flight.
Having this option makes it possible to at least pool all the miles of let’s say a group of 4 family members together in order to redeem one award. If a.family goes on holiday on a comparatively cheap ticket the amount of miles earned per member will be small and the mileage impossible to be used for anything but this might look a bit different with a number of individuals.