British Airways on Tuesday announced and launched the ability to pay for their seating charges using Avios.
You have to keep in mind that British Airways is one of the few airlines that won’t allow even business class passengers without status to choose their seats for free in advance. Passengers can choose their seats without paying when the online check in opens except those that have purchase basic economy fare.
You can access BA’s page for seating options here.
Here’s the release from BA:
From today, British Airways is offering customers even more ways to spend their Avios, by giving them the opportunity to use Avios to select their seats.
Now, customers will also have the option to choose to use Avios to reduce the cost of seat selection, or to cover the cost in full.
Customers who do not have access to free seat selection, and do not wish to pay, will continue to be able to select their seat for free when check-in opens 24-hours before departure*.
British Airways already offers free seat selection for Gold and Silver members of the British Airways Executive Club from the time they book, and also offers free seat selection for Bronze members seven days before their flight departs. The move, therefore, will be of the biggest benefit to Blue members who can now choose to use their Avios, instead of cash, to select their seat. The opportunity to fully cover the cost of selecting seats, or cover part of the cost, using Avios, is available on all British Airways operated flights and can be actioned through Manage My Booking on ba.com or through the contact centre**. Customers who do not wish to spend Avios but do want to select their seats, will still be able to pay the cash amount.
- *All customers (with the exception of those travelling on Basic fares) will continue to be able to select their seats for free at online check-in, which opens 24 hours before departure, and at the airport. Those customers travelling on Basic fares will continue to be allocated a seat at check in.
- As per policy, we’ll continue to do our best to seat families together a few days before their flight departs. Seats may be split across aisles or rows. However, children under 12 will always be seated with an adult on the same booking. More information can be found here.
- There will continue to be no charge for reserving a seat if a customer has a specific seating requirement because of their disability. More information can be found here.
- **Full terms and conditions can be seen here.
- The option to pay to select seats using Avios is available regardless of fare type.
Here’s a seating charge example:
$32 or 4,150 Avios? That values one Avios at 0.77 US cents.
It is always good to have more options to use miles/Avios but this ratio is very bad. There must be members that have small amounts and this way they can perhaps get at least some value out of them.