British Airways has launched 50% off economy reward flight sale that is valid for travel between September 1 – May 31, 2019, and must be booked by June 17.
The 50% off discount applies to both peak and off-peak Avios prices. You can also use Avios & Money but the money part is not discounted.
You can access this offer on BA’s website here.
Here are BA’s off-peak round-trip examples:
Here are some searches I made (between city pairs where fuel surcharges are minimal or none):
Hong Kong – London
Sao Paulo – London
Rio de Janeiro – London
Tokyo – London
You have to keep in mind that BA’s fuel surcharges are usually very high that makes redeeming for long-haul economy class returns usually lose-lose proposition between competitive markets.
I did, however, recently issued an award and flew from Hong Kong to Brussels on BA via London using Avios. Minimal taxes and the number of Avios required was reasonable.
Here are the terms and conditions of this sale:
- Book directly with British Airways (BA) between 31 May and 17 June 2018 for travel between 1 September 2018 and 31 May 2019. This offer applies to both peak and off-peak Avios prices and can be booked by any British Airways Executive Club member with a sufficient Avios balance. The required amount of Avios for reward flights in the World Traveller Cabin, travelling to or from London Heathrow or London Gatwick will be reduced by 50%. Avios & Money bookings are included in the offer, but only the Avios will be discounted by 50%. Discounts are available on direct one-way and return British Airways operated flights in the World Traveller cabin only. Example Avios prices shown are for a return journey on off-peak dates.
- The full airline taxes, fees and Carrier charges will apply per person, per flight and payment must be made in full at the time of booking. Payment by cheque is not accepted. Bookings made over the telephone will carry a non-refundable £5 offline booking fee per person per ticket. Calls cost up to 5p per minute from a BT landline. Calls from mobiles may vary.
- All flights are subject to the notice and conditions of contract contained on each ticket or itinerary, the Executive Club terms and conditions and British Airways conditions of carriage.
- Reward flights are strictly subject to availability which may be very limited or not available at all on some routes including Sydney, Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, San Jose (Costa Rica), Grenada, Cancun, Lima and Male. Reward flights may not be available on some dates. No registration is required.
- This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer, promotion or deal, including but not limited to industry discounted fares (including agency, industry, employee discounts) inclusive holidays, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes, bookings made with any other vouchers, travel class upgrades and any BA staff friends and family offers (for example, Hotlines). Discounts cannot be used retrospectively. This promotion applies only to new bookings made between 31 May and 17 June 2018.
- No cash or credit alternative is available.
- BA reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this offer and any tickets or vouchers issued at offer prices in the event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake or any actual anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of BA.
- The promoter of this offer is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777. Offer materials form part of these terms and conditions. This offer is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.